Question for you Super Smart Turkey Dudes

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by useyourbow, Apr 22, 2013.

1. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Opening weekend my partner and I were covered up in long beards or at least we saw them and knew they existed. This weekend the long beards were no where to be found and Jakes were gobbling and seemed to ruling the roost. Where did the big boys go? I understand bucks leaving during the rut but would toms bale for greener pastures. We have hens that live on the property, plenty of food. Perplexed?

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I would say they are there with hens and this is the reason for no gobbling. They could have left but the only reason would be lack of nesting cover and the hens went to an area where they can nest dragging the gobblers along

3. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    This or the Jakes ran them off.

4. TurkeyFoot

TurkeyFoot 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2006
    Taylor County
    Same deal happened to me opening weekend! There were 10 different toms roosting in the same neck of the woods with a whole bunch of hens. They all flew down to a bottom. We could count 10 toms and 27 hens in a bunch. They stayed in that field most of the day together. Toms struttin, hens yelping and fighting. Once the birds hit the ground, there was no gobbling. Went back down there this past Saturday morning, and they all busted up with there own bunch of hens. Gobbled on the roost, but once they hit the ground, they shut up. I called several birds in the last 2 wknds and the hens always cut me off!! So, i guess what I'm saying is, they are still there, prolly be better this coming weekend!! They'll be looking for a lonely hen by 9 in the morning! Jmo

5. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

The hens are still there, we have been seeing them as well with out the toms. Even if the toms were not gobbling I was under the impression they would be kicking some jake butt if they were gobbling.

6. O'l Joe

O'l Joe 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2009
    stay out
    X2. I have witnessed this multiple times this season. Jakes ganging up on the toms.

7. Justsaying

Justsaying 8 pointer

Jun 22, 2012
    NOYB
    Come to think of it the jakes are walking around together wearing plain white t-shirts and saggy pants.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I saw on a hunting video where the guys were hunting in Oklahoma. There were turkeys everywhere. When a mature Tom would come in strutting and gobbling a gang of 5-8 jakes would swoop in to run the gobbler off and steal the hen or hens.

9. Jakes could have run them off, pressure drove them off, they broke up and went elsewhere, henned up, or some have been harvested. Could have been a combination of one or several of these factors.

10. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    I haven't seen a jake while hunting in years!!

11. rut n strut

rut n strut Fawn

Oct 19, 2011
    Me either buddy! I've been trying to find one for dad or the girl to shoot so that it would be easier to work. Can't seem to find any jakes!

12. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    They are probably with Hens, so they are not gobbling much. In order to take those Toms you have to just sit and be patient. They will often come in to you and your calls silent.

Get in a feeding area or a traveling route like a Ridge top, or a logging road on a ridge top, and just sit there and make calls. Sooner or later the Tom and his Hens will likely travel through that area feeding or just traveling through then maybe he will come into range or you can call him into range.

13. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Im not qualified to answer given the title of this thread. Lol.