Question for Conservation Officers.

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by ksp771, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

I am in Zone 1 hunting this year. I read where the permit reads a hunter may take unlimited antlerless deer in zone 1. My statewide license is 2 antlerless and one visable antlered deer. Does this mean that I can harvest 1 buck and as many antlerless deer as I need? I like to have 4-5 in the freezer this year. Last year I bought the bonus tag for antlerless deer.

2. MKYhunter

MKYhunter Banned

Sep 5, 2009
    I am not a CO , but you would have to buy bonus tags for anything past what comes with your initial license .

3. KAHUNTER

KAHUNTER 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2007
    Henderson
    You can kill either 1 buck and 1 doe with your state license or 2 does which would cover both tags for the state license. Anything past that your gonna have to purchase bonus antlerless tags! I think you can kill 2 antlerless for each bonus tag you purchase! Hope this helps!

4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

What ^^^^^^^^said. Keep in mind, if you harvest two does before you buy your bonus tags, you would have used your buck tag;) If you feel you may want to take more than one doe, and want to use your buck (antlered) tag on a buck, buy your bonus tags now;);)

5. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

Thanks this helps.

6. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

The reason I ask is because of the discussion I was involved in at work. This co-worker is goofy sometimes. He read the following and believed that he could take as many as he wanted. I told him the most he could get is 4 total using both statewide permit and bonus permit.
    This is what he was refering to:
    ANTLERLESS DEER LIMIT

1. In Zone 1 counties, there is no season limit on antlerless deer.

2. In Zone 2, 3 and 4 counties, the combined season limit is four (4) per hunter. Hunters may choose to take up to one (1) antlered deer and three (3) antlerless deer, OR take up to four (4) antlerless deer total.
    RESTRICTIONS BY ZONE
    ZONE 1
    • A hunter may take an unlimited number of antlerless deer. Two (2) deer may be taken using the statewide permit and unlimited antlerless deer may be taken using bonus antlerless-only permits (good for two (2) antlerless deer each).
    • A hunter is limited to ONE (1) deer with visible antlers (excluding button bucks) per license year statewide, except additional antlered deer may be taken on WMA or State Park quota hunts or federal areas.
    • Hunters shall abide by the equipment restrictions in place for each season.

7. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    In zone one counties you can buy as many antlerless tags and kill as many antlerless deer as you want to.

8. MagicMan

MagicMan Fawn

Mar 7, 2007
    So in Zones 3 and 4 can you harvest a doe during firearm season with a firearm and tag it with your bonus antlerless tags? I thought the bonus tags were for bow only.

9. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    I dont think those bonus tags are good for zones 3 and 4. Bonus tags are only for where they want to decrease the heard. Zone 4 is not even open for does in rifle season. Where bonus tags are permitted, I dont think it matters what you kill them with bow or gun.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    In zone 3 and 4 the bonus tags are for bow only and you can only take 4 deer total.

11. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Question for Conservation Officers

Question for Conservation Officers