Question, Did I read this right?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JP08, Oct 14, 2014.

1. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    If I or anyone shoots a deer and it crosses onto someone else land is the landowner NOT obligated to give me my deer? Anything legal you can do?

2. KAHUNTER

KAHUNTER 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2007
    Henderson
    Nope. He is not obligated.

3. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    To my knowledge you must gain permission to access his land. If the land owner refuses then it's his deer. That is my understanding. Are you experiencing this problem?

4. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    They do not have to let you on their land.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Best course of action is to talk with your neighbors before hand. Let them know you hunt ask if they let anyone hunt. If they don't be careful how you talk with them. Just let them know you hunt and there is always a chance a hit deer could run on their property ask if you would be allowed to retrieve it. If they do let people hunt let them know that if you have permission to retrieve downed game their hunters do as well. Always better to address a possibly problem before it becomes one.

6. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    There's a good chance I will, Yes. I've hunted Publicland for years and just gained permission to a small farm next to a deer zoo if you will. Adjacent landowner allows no hunting.

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Correct. Must have permission or you would be considered trespassing.

8. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    A little courtesy goes a long way. Approach adjacent land owners and information them as was mentioned before. Showing respect and kindness will get you a long way.

9. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    When you go to talk to the landowner, don't go as a hunter, i.e. dressed in camo or other hunting clothes. Look decent, talk decent, act decent.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Its not in Henderson Co by chance....??

11. lightsareout

lightsareout Fawn

Oct 13, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    most states have this rule, it does suck if neighboring land owners are jerks

12. JP08

JP08 6 pointer

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes it is, I'm assuming you know all about it and how the adjacent land owner is, I've already talking to him in my street cloths, I'll be respectful and legal. I'm blessed to be hunting here just hoping for a positive outcome.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    It is the law... I don't agree with it, but you've got to follow it....

14. easternkyhunter

easternkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    breathitt county
    That's how I gained access to the best piece of property I ever hunted. My wife worked with a lady that allowed me to hunt her land. When we went down to scout it i realized that anything shot would probably cross onto the neighbors property. So I Drove over, introduced myself and ask permission to retrieve anything that ended on his place. He took off his hat and said, "hell I can do you better than that. Hunt anything on my side you want". He then proceeded to take me to show me all his property lines and even introduced me to two of his other neighbors that didn't allow us to hunt, but did give us permission to retrieve anything. One of the nicest, most humble man I ever met. Hated to lose that spot but when he passed the land was sold.