Question about tobacco barns

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
They were partially down from tornado. Don’t know if that made a difference or not. My buddy Joe has one now that is 50 years old. It’s in Logan county. Had one offer of $500 from a guy in Cave City. Said he normally pays more but that’s a long haul for him.

That illustrates the point that I am making about how little anyone is willing to pay for a barn. Piecing one out by hand is a lot of work. Barn siding on the internet goes for $8/sq foot. I sold my brother 400 sq feet for $2 per, $800. He was delighted with that price.

G

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
That illustrates the point that I am making about how little anyone is willing to pay for a barn. Piecing one out by hand is a lot of work. Barn siding on the internet goes for $8/sq foot. I sold my brother 400 sq feet for $2 per, $800. He was delighted with that price.

G
I’d rather have $500 than doze/burn it.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Your inlaws got 6g for 3 barns, I'm not saying that it can't happen, it is just not how it normally happens. Buyers will take the buildings for cleanup cost.

A guy who will sell you an old cabin for 60g told me my log cabin was valuable but was not interested when I told him that I will do the cleanup myself.

Same thing in Michigan on a really nice 30x40 hay barn.

In actuality the guy who bought one of the barns for 2g could recover that expense easily just on the siding but it is a lot of work pulling nails by hand and power washing every board.

I saw at least a half dozen big old barns in Michigan get pushed into a big hole and burned.

G
Not to mention I wouldn’t put barn wood anywhere near my house that wasn’t chemically treated of kiln dried.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
I've got chestnuts on the ground today.

DSC05696 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC05697 (1200 x 800).jpg

G