question about the wearing orange requirement and turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by mike007, Sep 18, 2019.

1. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    From the way I read the regs that mention wearing hunter orange it says that it must be worn during any gun season, deer or bear ect. It says except for doves and waterfowl but it doesn't mention turkey hunting. So is it technically illegal to hunt turkeys without orange during a gun season?

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  2. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Only if you're bowhunting during a deer, bear, or elk gun season. The bear and elk season orange requirement "should" only apply in those designated zones.

3. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    So, since deer gun season is nov 9-24 and youth gun deer is oct 12-13, turkey hunters might as well stay home those days. In fact there's no point in having an open turkey season during those days, is that correct?

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  4. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    And don't forget the muzzleloader seasons

5. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    that right, which is oct 19-20 and dec 14-22. so now that comes to oct 12-13, oct 19-20, nov 9-24, dec 14-22
    that btw covers up a good bit of the crossbow season.

6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Several years back it was gun season and I had three mature toms with beards dragging the ground about 70 yards from me as unconcerned as could be... I stood up to stretch etc. Blaze orange didn't seem to bother them at all!

7. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    Not sure if you're hunting public or private land, but the fish and wildlife website does calrify that "Hunters are not required to wear hunter orange clothing or display hunter orange on ground blinds during a firearms season on a state owned or managed WMA where firearms hunting for deer, elk or bear is prohibited."

Have to be careful with this though, I believe a good portion of WMA's are archery-only for adults but allow firearms during youth-only season for deer.

So I'm thankful for the extended turkey season on public - On private I'd probably stay home in all honesty. Even still, you'd have a better chance of shooting a turkey in orange than on the couch.

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    That orange wont bother a turkey. Just sit still. Ive had em about get in my lap while deer hunting on the ground.

1wildcatfan likes this.