Question about ML scopes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by buckfever, Oct 18, 2014.

1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I'm using a buddy's ML this morning. He killed a good buck with it 2 years ago, and said it was "dead on" at 75 yards, but it hasn't been shot since.

Question: How many inches high should I aim at 150 yards? (Btw, 265 grain bullet and 100 grains of powder).

Thanks in advance.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Probably should keep the shots under 100 yards until you can shoot it. I would think there would be a big drop at that range.

3. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    I agree with WW. Just because it is "dead on" for him does not mean that it will be the same for you. Always practice with a new firearm before hunting....

4. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    Well a ML is not like a bow where draw length and anchor point are different so you should be fine to fire away. Using an equation I'm sure you wouldn't understand you should aim approximately 373 mm at 137 yrds so just a smidge more at 150. Unless , of course your shooting downhill then you would aim even a little higher than a smidge ( more like a bit ) to counteract the effects of gravity on a projectile that's already angled down. Hope this helps and good luck.

... Walter

5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    If you would just man up and use three pellets, you could hold dead on out to 250-300 easy.

buckfever likes this.
  6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    [​IMG] if i were you i would be shooting it first chance i got. You never know what could happen in two years time. Scope could have got bumped or anything. Good luck.

7. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    My muzzleloader that was shooting perfect last year has been sitting in my gun cabinet since then. I shot it the other day and wasnt even hitting a 12"x12" paper at 60 yards. Never hunt until you shoot it first!

8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Agree 100% toxic

9. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    I would rather be irritated about not being able to hunt cause of that rather than shoot a deer in the leg or blow off an ear! Lol

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I'd add 4th pellet, Just in case it does shoot low.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Hold dead on you have about the same chance of killing it as do holding over with a gun youve never checked. My gun has been on for 8 yrs untill this yr, this year i couldnt hit anything as the scope was way off. Never trust someone else i borrowed my buddys gun a long time ago he had killed a deer that morn and told me to clean it as he never reloaded ofter he shot. Idid and put a cap on it to dry the nipple out before i loaded it. It sounded like bacon frying before it shot a hole in the headboard . I always thought i was a safe person but man that day really showed me .

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh! Had a dandy buck at just under 200 yards. I aimed for the eye and moved up to just under his main beams. Ka-boom!! Didn't even shave a hair. That buck went right back to chasing does around the field, and my buddy didn't give me any extra bullets or powder.

Anybody have a ML (and bullets/powder) I can borrow this afternoon. The one my buddy lent me is a pile of junk. Won't stand for crappy equipment.

13. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Ive got ya covered. It aint been cleaned in a few years though :)

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Couldn't be more correct, toxic. I may have to mount a scope on my M/L as I only have a peep sight now. Missed a nice Doe this morning.:(

15. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    You could've just grabbed your bow and shot him in the neck from that distance. I hear thats a deadly place for a long distance archery shot!