Quail

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Grago, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Is there still a huntable population, somewhere in the state, im not physically able to hunt them anymore, just remember, when a lot of people hunted and we had a lot of quail, Not anymore here

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Yes there is . I have had quail on my farm for a long time. The problem is that everyone wants clean farms and especially clean fence rows .
    I have put out plots and let fence lines grow . I see quail all the time . I don't allow others to hunt so that quail will multiply and branch out to other farms in my area. Me ,my son and grandson hunts every now and then and usually get a few each time. More quail could be taken but I resist the urge to do that .
    Farmers mow hay fields and that hurts nesting quail populations . I try and avoid areas where I see a lot of quail until the last part of my first cutting.
    Another thing is that a hunter we all knew would find a covey of quail and stay after them until he killed them all.

JR in KY, FOWLER2671 and BirdBuster like this.
  3. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thats good to know, i might if im lucky see a pair in a years time cant even remember last time i saw any little ones was years ago

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have seen several birds with little ones every year anywhere fro 6 to 10 little ones in a bunch. One year I was crossing my cattle guard and saw some fall in . I stopped on my way out and sure enough they were there and could not get out . I picked out 5 or so and momma was still there peeping to gather them all up.
    One year, I jumped a big bunch that had to be at least 30 babbies that was just starting to fly . They came up and landed in a short branchy tree. Little quail scattered all over that tree. I would say it was probably three different hatches together but they were all the same size birds.

Bee likes this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My dad said he saw one while in the deer blind Sunday morning. Would be a first where we hunt.

6. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I know where a few covey's are. I will run my dogs on them occasionally just for the dog work. I have killed one in the last 3 years. That was when I was getting my youngest dog started.

bondhu likes this.
  7. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    That sounds like here he saw one, i would think if there were many they would be in a covey this time of year course covey could have gotten busted up and just not assembled back to gather yet, it is a fun hunt if you have the.numbers going for you

8. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    We have a couple coveys here. Been seeing one with a dozen or so that hang out in my parents drive way.(goes through the woods) Makes me smile every time i here them call and see them feed.

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    The last year that Quail hunting was good, was 1975. Then the bad winters hit us (Indiana & Kentucky) in 1976, and the Quail have never recovered since, and also Rabbits.

10. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I remember that winter, didnt remember what year, it was That was a rough one we had a hay barn that was full of hay, and was open on both ends actually had 3 coveys that stayed in or around that barn, guess they were eating seeds or whatever in the hay we had everything we had hung up trucks tractor everything i had to walk about a 1/4 mile to that barn and bust ice for the cattle

bondhu likes this.
  11. Blood River

Blood River 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    West Bank of Ky. Lake
    It is possible that a Quail and Upland Game Alliance chapter will be started soon in Western Ky. I will post again if it in fact becomes a reality.