Quail Surragator

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Quailtail, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Quailtail

Quailtail Spike

Oct 3, 2006
    Versailles KY
    Has anyone had any experience in using a Quail Surragator? I am interested in them but wondering if they work and are worth the money.

2. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I've been told by a biologist with quail forever that they are buffet bars for predators. They used several and from how he talked and from what I've heard from a few others there just a money pit. Talk to birdman I've hunted some that he restored another way and had good luck with.

3. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Habitat is really the only way. Mixing in a little predator mngt. doesn't hurt though.

4. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I second the habitat and predator management. I've heard of people doing well by releasing 5 week old birds mid summer.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    They might make it into fall but they will die in the winter.

Biologists from different state's F&W depts and bios from different conservation organizations have tried nearly every way possible to supplement the wild birds with grown birds. It just doesn't work.

If you do the habitat work and keep your preds in check and commit to it as a long term plan, you will see results.

6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Birdman has a system that I've seen first hand results of. You still need habitat and there's no small game that doesn't need the predators off there back. We put up covey after covey of quail that were several years old and very healthy and totally raised in the wild from birth birds.

7. Side-by-side

Side-by-side Fawn

Dec 18, 2011
    I've got a small farm I'm wanting to establish some quail on, what is birdmans strategy? I am already working on habitat and predator control.

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Send him a pm im sure he would be more than happy to explain it and will do a much better job than me.

9. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    talltimbers.org is a site that has access to the best eastern bobwhite research that is available. They evaluated the Surrogator and gave it a negative success rating FWIW>

10. Peacher79

Peacher79 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2007
    Pine Grove, KY
    Personally, after making a living being in sales and marketing all my adult life. I think the surragator has been masterfully marketed. All the hype surrounding it makes people want to stand in line to buy one. To my knowledge, no credible quail research organization has given it their endorsement. Just plant some cover, buy a surragator, and you are set. I only wish it was that easy.

Just a side note, that really bugs me, is the guy who promotes them on TV has an extended magazine tube on his automatic shotgun that just rubs this old bird hunter the wrong way.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    All you need now is time Side-by-Side.

12. djs

djs Fawn

Jan 30, 2010
    Just a side note, that really bugs me, is the guy who promotes them on TV has an extended magazine tube on his automatic shotgun that just rubs this old bird hunter the wrong way."

EXACTLY, Peacher. Why would anyone go into the field, particularly to endorse conservation, with a gun that looks as if it's intended for riot duty?
    I also looked into the Surrogator. In theory, it looks great, but I suspect the local hawks and coyotes will be licking their chops over the opportunities.