quail or pheasants around mt Vernon??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by USdiver, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017
    Hey guys! Im finally back in ky since 2010 and all I hear is that there is practically no quail and pheasants around here now. i just got my 5 month old GSP and Id like to make him a great bird dog. any help on where to hunt? or is the people Im talking to full of BS?

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    There is quail around but that is dependent on getting permission pretty hush hush on that around my area . You might try Peabody they been running a habit deal out there for them should be a real place to run GSP. Pheasants you need to head west about 1250 miles or put in for one of the depts put and take hunts.
    If you hear of some one with some good GSP pups appreciate it if you could shoot me a message.

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Seem to be a few quail around here in Pulaski. All on private land however that I have seen and mostly while rabbit hunting. Typically few and far between as well. As far as pheasant goes, like bondhu said, travel west or maybe get in on a place that lets go pen raised birds to get him some field time. They do some draw hunts every year in Ky but I think they have mostly passed already.

4. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017
    Okay yeah for sure! and yeah thats what ive been hearing is to go out west

5. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017
    Im also looking into Dove hunting, but i personally don't have any good spots for that either. i went to the kyfish and game site and they posted some land around lincoln county. so i drove up and couldnt find it. I asked a guy up there he said its mostly privet property.

6. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Those dove fields are private land that is leased for public use by the department. They will have signs up marking them during season, but signs are probably down now. Pheasant are not native to Kentucky, so quota hunt or game farm are your only options in state. There are decent quail numbers at Peabody in west kentucky, but that's about it as far as decent numbers on public land. You can still find some on private land though if you can get permission.

7. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017

I was talking to a guy today at the gun store in mount vernon he said, alot of people will buy large mounts of quail and put them on there property and then hunt them. to me it kind of feels like cheating unless you put them on property in spring and the STAY there untill season. just pretty bummed i got my GSP and theres not even that many birds. May have to change what Im goint to hunt, because I dont want to have to travel 3+ hours away just to hunt. unless I stay with just doves..

8. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Hey dont get discouraged that GSP is a great dog with ability to please. I apologize if Im wrong but it sounds as though you are just starting out with this dog.
    The things you have mentioned the GSP is capable of doing but thats with a grain of salt. Example GSP (Jake) that I trained I started on quail and pigeon I caught from under an over pass. He was broke to where on point quail or grouse I could walk in front of him and throw grass in his face and he would not move. quail and grouse A +. Took him on pheasant hunt guess what pheasants like to run. A good pheasant GSP should break and cut ofF pheasant to make him hold Ky grouse will not tolerate this. His desire to please was to much I kenneled him before to much damage. Remember I wanted a Ky quail and Ky grouse dog . pheasant hunt was on me. Pheasant C+. Doves Jake never liked picking them up what ever oil is in a dove old timers told me it coated a dogs mouth like a banana does. He would do it but the first couple shot I would have to reinforce every year. Dove B+. Also if I had a GSP now I would train him on finding sheds in the off season. I think they would be good at this because of there hound traits.

9. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    I have a GSP that will point quail, chukar ,and pheasant, If that pheasant breaks she will take after it to cut it off. We not had any luck with grouse yet. Can't find any close enough to work. She'll retrieve ducks and geese all day long. Great in the dove field also. Just work with your dog for what you want to do. they will lernn

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I agree with you 100 Percent. Sorry thats what I meant Pick what you want to hunt . GSP I had would point anything eatable including pheasants. But I said I stopped him from breaking and cutting off pheasants. Because I grouse hunt and Grouse wont tolerate the game of tag your it. Sick feeling when you walk Ky hills for grouse and all you here is the flush 100 yards out because the dog tried to reset or not trained to go on point at first whiff (trying to get to close)

11. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    There's a game farm in Winchester where you can put and take. About the only thing you can do this time of year.

12. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    Cedar Creek Sportsmen Club has a retriever/quail group. Good place and nearby.

13. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Some dogs eventually learn the difference in hunting grouse when they can't move and pheasant that run and run. I have a 1yr setter that I am having luck with holding on grouse and woodcock but elected not to put her in the pheasant until maybe this fall. My experience with this is after pheasant hunting the dog will bump a grouse or two and if they are smart they will realize they gotta stand still in the woods but can trail some in the fields. This has been my experience and observation over the last 15 years hunting, and be patient, they are not robots, they are trying to please you.

14. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017

See my only thing is I'm just starting out with him, I've had labs as duck dogs and hounds for coins but this is a bit different because I don't have th resources like I did, I was going to use a dead dove and quail and train him on scents. My goal is to have him hunt ready by 1st of fall.

15. USdiver

USdiver Fawn

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm wanting to take him out to the park or fields, butt he still have no good thick coat on him so he freezes every time. We do a lot of indoor stuff as well