Quail hunting reports

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jeffb, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Fawn

Dec 8, 2010
    elizabethtown ky
    Just got back from Clay wildlife management area quota hunt for grouse and quail. Had a nice time everything looks good, like there should be birds there. walked our legs off and found 1 covey of birds got 2, dogs struggled, but still glad to be out there.

2. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    John, how did you guys fair out west?

3. Bodacious Britt

Bodacious Britt Spike

Nov 11, 2008
    Stanford
    We did pretty good considering the scenting conditions were tough (very dry) and our shooting lacked a lot to be desired. We moved/saw 23 coveys and killed 40+ birds in 4.5 days. The dog work on the coveys was great; however they had a tough time with singles and dead birds. We were better off looking for dead birds on our own rather than having dogs hunt dead.

4. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    Doesn't sound like the shooting was too bad. Mike and Greg said where they were in Kansas was over hunted and only found 1 small covey along with a lot of spooked pheasant. You didn't miss much at the Corbin Trial, nasty weather and quick fields. Mike's young dog got a 1st and 3rd, I couldn't get more than a 3 bird run every brace, but i had tough draws too.
    We've got into a couple coveys up here, but haven't shot the first bird./

5. deepfryum

deepfryum 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2008
    shelby co. ky
    Went the other day and jumped 2 coveys. Ended up with 7 quail and 1 woodcock. Have not hunted quail since I lived in Missouri. Had a really good time! May have to get back into it.

6. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    You may want to check your guide. Woodcock season is closed!

7. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Did you hunt private or public? I am heading back out west next year. We have hunted Kansas twice and Nebraska twice. I have been to SD once. I was thinking about Oklahoma next year. Was wondering what the public ground was like out there.

8. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Flushed 2 coveys in area 21 inside of Fort Campbell a few weeks ago.

9. Bodacious Britt

Bodacious Britt Spike

Nov 11, 2008
    Stanford
    Hunted all public; Black Kettle National Grassland. I like it; however it takes a couple trips to figure out what holds birds, etc. 47,000 acres and we only saw one other group of hunters on the ground and talked to another group in a truck.

10. Bodacious Britt

Bodacious Britt Spike

Nov 11, 2008
    Stanford
    How did Greg's young dog do? I still want to get up there for a days hunt.

11. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    I think he got a 3rd, but i am almost sure he had 4 birds every run.

Come on up, as soon as the snow melts we'll go.

12. HighBrass Setters

HighBrass Setters Fawn

Dec 26, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Good Evening and merry Christmas to all!

I have had fair to good success this year on wild birds. We hunted friday in western KY and moved 5 nice coveys in 4-5 hours.
    Live in the Lexington area and have also been hunting central KY. Seems as though the quail are making a comeback....where good habitat management is practiced.

Have 2 Llew setters and love to chase birds and run dogs.

Hunted Kansas Dec. 12-17....had a great trip!
    Pheasant numbers were excellent, quail down a bit....However it was very dry and the dogs had trouble finding birds.

13. WBall

WBall Spike

Nov 16, 2008
    lexington,ky
    I agree we are finding birds here in central part were habitat is provided.

14. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
  15. APS

APS Fawn

Habitat

I have quail hunted the last (2) weekends in south central KY on a farm that 2 years ago held one small covey of quail. The farm has not been mowed off in 2 years except for the top of the ridges and it is now thick with briars, honeysuckle and small cedars. 2 weekends ago we moved 5 coveys of quail and last weekend we moved 4 coveys. We had lots of good dog work and killed several birds. We will leave them alone for teh rest of the year. The point to all of this is HABITAT = BIRDS!!!!!!!!