Quail Food Question

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Strutter, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    What can I put out for quail that the deer will not eat up? Last year I put out the wildlife mix and the deer ate all the sorghum seed heads as soon as they matured. I never saw a quail in the plot but I know I have at least 2 coveys running around. They seemed to be calling all over the place this weekend. I put out more sorghum this past week and mixed in some soybeans. Hopefully the quail will get some this time. Any of you guys got any ideas that will work this late in the year?

Strutter

2. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    browntop millet!!60 days to mature and it doesn't need much rain.The best plant for quail is ragweed.It scares people,but it's true.A quail will pass up corn,millet,milo,sunflower and soybeans,to get to ragweed seed.All you have to do is disc in the spring and you will have all the ragweed and foxtail you need.If there is fescue growing where you're putting the plot,you'll have to plow first or the fescue will take back over.

3. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    What is the latest time of the year you can plant browntop millet?

4. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I checked it out on the net and it said that you could plant it til August. It has a 60 day maturation rate.

Strutter