Put the stalk on bird#1....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by turk2di, Apr 15, 2013.

1. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Took my daughter hunting this morning and all we had was a hen come by. She had to be home to baby sit by noon, so we drove through the bottoms on the way home. After passing by the refuge office, we spotted a Tom and 2 hens about 200 yds from the road, and they were only around 15 yds off the edge of a long strip of trees, weeds and ice storms rip rap from 09.. I decided to put the sneak on. Tiffany said she would drive me just past them, and I would get out and make the attempt . Knowing how well turkeys hear, and considering all the thick overgrowth, she told me to go ahead without her or she would be mad at me. She knew she couldn't get there and after 24 years of getting after them, I knew we couldn't both make it..so, I began my stalk and wasn't long, had my first big obstacle . After easing thru, under &over a brush pile , I continued . After about 10 minutes and only getting about 50 yds, thought that maybe I had better get a peek to check on my progress! As I eased up, no birds..hmmmmm. Well, I looked ahead, seen another huge impediment, and bent over, began easing to it. After looking it over, I just wasn't going to get thru it without sounding like an elk, so I belly crawled up to where I could get another look. There he was, only 15 yds, looking dead at me! He was walking the edge my way as I was going his way.. He began to run, I threw the gun to shoulder. He stopped behind a sappling. He should have kept going.. I waited for him to come out other side of sapling. Come out he did, busting out at a dead run, but he was too late, I followed him with my bead on where his neck met body and shot! Down goes Fraiser! Whew! That was intense, he weighed approx 20lbs, has a 8" beard, a nary a spur on either leg, slick as a counter top!
    [​IMG]

2. Congrats on the bird Turk!

Most of my stalks don't turn out so successful. I walked up on two strutting birds opening day in deep woods and couldn't close the deal on either one of them.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    fun hunt! congrats!

4. Gobbler Getter

Gobbler Getter 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    I killed on without spurs 2 years ago, still was mighty tasty.... Congrats..

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on a nice tom......and story to go along with it.

Also concerning spurs ... I killed a tom 15 plus years ago...21 1/2 lbs...11" inch beard....but his spurs were just bumps.

Seen better on jakes than what this bird had...and fact was ..this was when we actually checked them in. So.. on the way home....I stopped at Fruithill grocery...which was a check station. The woman working there....don't know her name but they called her "Looney"....she takes my bird to weigh it & measure the beard. She looked at the legs...she said.. "why this is a jake".

I told her... I ain't never seen a jake with a 11"inch beard & weighed over 21lbs....then she began to argue with me that because of the spurs...it was a jake. Needless to say...the guys that were with me got a big laugh and took a couple years to live that one down. But.... I did learn a valuable lesson...don't argue with a woman they call "Looney".

6. TurkeyFoot

TurkeyFoot 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2006
    Taylor County
    Great story and congrats on a nice bird.

7. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    Very nic I love putting the stalk on em especially in the evenings.. I was belly crawlin across a hayfield yesterday about 6pm trying to close in on one,,, but when I got to the end of bank I was crawling across,,, he had got about 80 yards away....

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Way to go my man...Can eat those spurs anyway !