Pudelpointer

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bigredhunter, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    Does anyone have experience with these dogs. I would love to have another hunting dog and have been looking at these. They are a versatile breed developed in the 1800's in Germany, so they aren't a designer breed, like a labradoodle, which I thought they originally where. They are hypoalergenic, which is a main reason I'm considering them. If I get a new dog and I would also like to have it in the home as a family dog, and due to allergies for me and my children I can't have a lab.

2. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Old thread, but I have one coming in May. They were born March 11th. Go over to the versatile dog forum and you can read all kinds of info. Pretty interesting breed for sure. I also joined the nearest NAVHDA chapter. PM me if you are interested in joining a chapter, or would like breeder info. I'll add that I was on the waiting list for right at a year before the pup was even born.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    What type of hunting do you have in mind for the dog?

4. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    I waterfowl hunt and some upland. Also thought about tracking and shed hunting. Also would need to be good family dog. Allergies keeps many of the breeds like labs from being considered.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The pudelpointer was one of the base breeds for the drahthaar like I have. He's been a great dog and has many of the physical characteristics of his pudelpointer ancestors. Unreal drive in him. He's a great house dog but gets excited when company comes over. Loves kids and just wants to play but he's so big he scares the ones that are not used to large dogs.

6. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Nice breed QS! I can't wait to get the Pudelpointer. Did you do any NAVHDA tests with your Drath?

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I did not. The drahts go through their own testing system via the VDD-GNA but my dog decided that he could fly when he was 4 months old breaking a leg and shattering the elbow. After a small fortune and months of being crated and rehab, when the time came for his first test, he was going through a lame period on that leg from overexertion so I couldn't run him. They have a strict structure on their tests that have to be completed during a certain age window and the only other test I could get into would have been a 12 hour drive. Miss the first one, you're out of luck on the rest of them.

8. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Ouch....hate that for the guy. I'm familiar with the VDD as well. It does seem more strict. I'm just doing the testing for fun anyway, and to get my girls out there to enjoy it with me. Hoping that he does hunt some for me though!!!

9. Jonesy's Gun Dogs

Jonesy's Gun Dogs 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Berea
    The breed is pretty nice IMO. They have pretty level head, have good amount of hunt, and seem to hang onto things pretty well. I have one in for training, that's coming together very well. Thanks Jonesy

10. largefrag

largefrag Spike

Dec 16, 2009
    Lexington
    Cobb and bigred,

welcome to the versatile dog world. You'll never go back. I have a 4 year old Drahthaar and use him for birdhunting and waterfowl and even run ( and occasionally place in a few ) UFTA field trials with him before and after hunting season. He has also been trained to blood track wounded deer. I have tested him through the VDD system and completed all three tests. You may think of testing as something to do "for fun" but the best thing about the tests is that they force you to train your dog, not just hap-hazard training, but training with a focus and purpose. If you train your dog and complete the "tests", you'll have a hunting dog that is more capable and more enjoyable to hunt with than 99% of dogs out there.

I think most versatile folks would be happy with a pudelpointer or Draht. I like the draht becuse i do alot of waterfowl hunting and in general , drahts have a more consistent coat. However, I do like that in some lines, the pudlepointers can be bigger running dogs. My draht ranges form 50 yards to around 200/300 depending on cover and has a lot of go so that works for me.

FYI, the closest NAVHDA group I believe is the Kentuckiana group. They usually train in Indiana. However, I do most of my training at the BGSL in Wilmore and ther are few guys with younger drahts i help train as well. I would love to get more versatile guys involved in training dogs there. The VDD GNA often also has training days her in KY where we train for some of our tests. We just put one on in Western kentucky earlier this spring. Pudleopointers can actually be entered to run these same tests through the JGHV if you are interested.

Cobb, What kennel are you getting your dog from? My father runs ELP's but I'm trying to bring him over to the furry side. He's kicked around getting a draht (I have studded my dog twice this spring with 2 litters on the way) but I think he'd be happier with a pudelpointer since he doesnt waterfowl and isn't comitted to testing. When you get your dog, please let em know. I'd love to come down and see what it's gotm and let my dad take a look as well.

11. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
  12. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Largefrag......thanks for the input. I am getting mine from Ripsnorter Kennel. I studied breeds and breeders for over a year before deciding. Then a year ago I got on RSKs waiting list. My male is from the Fin and Zayda pairing. I'm picking him up on May 9th. I am driving up this Friday to pick him out. I was fortunate enough to get pick of the males, not that I believe that's gonna help. Because I'm torn about which one I like, and I'm not sure driving up this Friday to play with them will help either.

I joined the Kentuckiana NAVHDA chapter back in December. Great group of people. I am interested in training at the BGSL though, I wasn't aware that anyone trained there.

When I get the pup settled I'll get up with ya and you're welcome to come check it out. Or I'll meet you at the BGSL or something too.

13. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Here's the Sire (black) and Dam....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Elp. Everyone knows thats the abrieviation for the extremely rare english long haired pointer.

15. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Lol. Now I'm really confused.