Public Mid Season Doves

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by dabassking, Sep 9, 2019.

1. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I went dove hunting for the first time on opening day at a public field. It was blast and they were delicious so I’m hoping to get into a few more.

My question is: are the public dove fields any good after opening weekend? I imagine they all get hit pretty hard and the birds start avoiding them. I drove by a large public field last Friday and only saw 1 dove and it was flying really high and over the entire field. Never landed.

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Those fields get hit hard by hunters the first few days and take out a lot of birds. About the same time farmers are harvesting crops , chopping silage and sowing wheat in fields. Doves spread out and go to places where they can feed and have not been disturbed by hunters.

At my dove field the doves had disappeared but about 800 ft straight line , a field just mowed with a pond had over 200 birds congregated in a half acre spot . Some was on the power lines and most was on the ground and 50 ft off the side of the road. Birds are around but they know where they are safe at .

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    It really bothers me that a man cant legally hunt over his WW plots after he tills and broadcasts seed. 1 you are improving yeild after the deer plot by defending it from the seed snatchers and 2 its more natural of an ag practice than growing a sunflower feild for the sole reason of luring in dove. I just dont get it.

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  4. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    Thanks for the insight. What you said really makes sense. I might still go out and hope for a shot or 2 before the end of the season.

5. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    You may not limit but you'll kill birds. I did pretty well last year in mid-late September over a mojo on a public field. The one thing that hurts is the lack of shooters keeping birds up.

6. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    Thanks for the info! I might need to look into getting some decoys. Do you find they help bring them to you when there aren’t many shooters around?

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Yes, but you don't need decoys...... just a mojo voodoo dove as waterdog mentioned . They work very well for lone hunters. 20-25 yard out turn wing movement toward direction of incoming birds.

dabassking likes this.
  8. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yes. I use a tomato stake to elevate mine a little for increased visibility. Birds will come right to it and try to set down. I put a few foam decoys on the ground under and around it.

bondhu and dabassking like this.
  9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    pigeons are a lot more fun and a lot more meat per shot

Meatstick and bondhu like this.