Public land hunting other states?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter110, Dec 13, 2017.

1. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    Im just wondering if any of you guys on here have ever taken off to bordering states and bowhunted any public land. Ive been thinking very seriously about doing this next year. I know we have great deer hunting here, but a change of scenery is good every now and then. Just seeing if anyone has had any success. Pros or cons. Im really looking at Missouri. They seem to have loads of public land and its a hunter friendly state. Thanks in advance for any input!

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I think Missouri is a little bit overlooked. I've never hunted there but travel thru it going out west every year. Always see plenty of deer and a few good ones almost every time thru there.

3. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    Thats what i was thinking, that its overlooked. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois all have good hunting as well but i keep getting drawn to Missouri for some reason.

4. DePre

DePre 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2016
    Used to hunt Ohio quiet a bit and seen lots of good deer. Hope to go back soon when I have the time/funds. Always considered going to Indiana, Illinois or Missouri as well. Don't know much about their public lands but when I used to drive a lot, deer were plentiful and usually saw some nice ones.

5. Powerstro284

Powerstro284 8 pointer

Jun 12, 2014
    Rough river
    I've wondered about our bordering states as well when will be checking back to see what others say. Good thread!

kyhunter110 likes this.
  6. docbuck

docbuck 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2014
    western ky
    I have a farm in the middle of Hoosier national forest up in English Indiana. The deer bundle tag is like 350$. That allows you to hunt all of the seasons. Bow(can use crossbow whole season) , gun, muzzleloader. I have seen some big deer up in that area and see lots of people parking near forest.

7. preachnhunt

preachnhunt 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2009
    Garrard
    I used to go up and hunt pubblic land in northern missouri. Gut shot a reallynice buck there and never found him. I got so mad at myself I never go back,but i took a friend one year and he saw a monster. Right by Green City.

8. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    Thanks for the input. Can't decide if I want to go all the way to northern Missouri or just stay in southern.

9. Big-Chief

Big-Chief Fawn

Dec 16, 2017
    Shelbyville KY
    I have hunted public land in Ohio, Missouri, Maine, Utah and Michigan. If you are willing to go deep where the others wont go, you will find some great deer. If you bow hunt you increase your chances even more. I hunted Daniel Boone Conservation Area in Missouri. The areas around St. Louis are great if you have a boat. Several areas on the Mississippi river that have monsters hidden on them because they are hard to get to.

10. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    I will definitely be bowhunting and am not afraid of getting back where others won't go. The two areas I've looked at the most are Apple Creek CA and Davisdale CA. I feel if I get there within a few weeks of the season opener the deer won't be pressured near as bad as later in the season.

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Missouri, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, all have good hunting and their out of state licenses are less than Kentucky so they are a great deal.

kyhunter110 likes this.
  12. flyingnectar

flyingnectar Spike

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    Been watching a show “the hunting public” on YouTube. Iowa has some awesome hunting land. Check them out

I hunted and fished public in Wyoming while camping what a blast. great September opportunities then you can comeback for KY rut .

13. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    There's a couple of reasons I don't want to go to Iowa. First, their state has a draw for a tag. Second it's like $550 for non residents to apply. Which if you don't get drawn its refunded but that's too much for an out of state tag. Third it's just further than I'd like to drive to hunt. Thanks for the idea though! I watch them a lot as well. They're the reason I want to hunt public land in the first place

flyingnectar likes this.