Public land: Christain co trail cam

Aug 25, 2013
I had a trail cam out on public land went to check today and no longer there. I still have 5 out on public land. I also had a stand took that was in the same area last year.
I had cable locks on both. what more can one do?? im sure there isn't much I can do about it but what would you do ?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Set two..... One for deer, and one up a tree trained on the deer cam.... Dang thieves. I hope they fall out of a stand...... I hope you are using cheap cameras...

Aug 25, 2013
im using $150 cameras +lock +card about $200 lost but not having them out there is not an option got to see whats out there

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
im using $150 cameras +lock +card about $200 lost but not having them out there is not an option got to see whats out there

I don't mean any disrespect at all.... but not using them is an option and no... you don't have to see what's out there.

People hunted and successfully killed deer long before the invention of game cameras. They are not a necessity.

In turn ... for many it's hard to keep a camera from being stolen on private ground. Putting it on public ground... pretty much giving them away.

Which its your choice.... just don't think it's a wise one. Also say I hate a thief and it shouldn't be that way. But in today's world it is the reality of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
I don't mean any disrespect at all.... but not using them is an option and no... you don't have to see what's out there.

People hunted and successfully killed deer long before the invention of game cameras. They are not a necessity.

In turn ... for many it's hard to keep a camera from being stolen on private ground. Putting it on public ground... pretty much giving them away.

Which its your choice.... just don't think it's a wise one. Also say I hate a thief and it shouldn't be that way. But in today's world it is the reality of things.

^^^^ What JD said. I meant no disrespect at all either but JD's spot on.

Aug 25, 2013
i hang any where from 4-7 stands on public land for me/friends to use. and would like to see how big the deer is in the area before i hang a stand 2+ miles back in the woods that's a long drag. i doe hunt near a road and buck hunt where i find big deer. and yes i know the risk is high and i take that risk. im just looking for a buck i would be happy taking. and wont take one that i wouldn't be. im not in it just to kill a deer.

Truth is, If your wallet can handle the loss then I would do the same. Me, If my camera is stolen you will hear me scream and waller all over the county. It's a chance I take tho.
i hang any where from 4-7 stands on public land for me/friends to use. and would like to see how big the deer is in the area before i hang a stand 2+ miles back in the woods that's a long drag. i doe hunt near a road and buck hunt where i find big deer. and yes i know the risk is high and i take that risk. im just looking for a buck i would be happy taking. and wont take one that i wouldn't be. im not in it just to kill a deer.

Aug 25, 2013
oh it cant handle it when everything comes up missing. i don't have much at all in the stands never have bought a new one even found one at goodwill. and i do need to find some cheaper trail cams that all good so it wont be such a hit

Jan 17, 2010
Bell County Ky
I had two cameras and a tree stand stolen on private land. It can happen anywhere. It has hurt because I enjoy running and checking the cameras almost as much as hunting but now am afraid to put the cameras back out in those areas again.

slimshad

8 pointer
Oct 29, 2008
USA
Dude this is one of the worst posts I have read on here. Really you put several cameras at $200 a piece on public ground? Either buy the el cheapos or learn to put them on trails leading to these good areas, hidden from the eyes of thives. This is like putting a bowl of candy on your porch on Halloween and leaving for the night. God luck with this.

Aug 25, 2013
Yeah I haven't even hunted this year yet but have spent countless hours checking cameras and moving them around. It's like Christmas checking to see what's on there. I spend about 3 times more time run cameras scouting and hanging stands.

slimshad

8 pointer
Oct 29, 2008
USA
Dude you are just telling the deer you are there. Spend more time hunting over sign and less walking in and out looking at pitchers... Game cameras have ruined my hunting. I have stopped this year and we will see if it helps. I mean I hunt private property, so why do i need to see all the deer on camera. I would rather be in the pictures holding the rack smiling. Time will tell if my "old school" way will work. haven't went in my area all year and will hunt daylight til dark first week of Nov.

Latest posts