Public land and horses

wademup

12 pointer
Feb 5, 2004
benton, ky, USA.
As I said in my first post...... I'm not against horse riding.... been around horses a big part of my life and a lot of my family have horses.

Also say and agree with wademup... this is a tricky subject from that aspect and back a few years ago when we were discussing it ...probably a 50/50 split on opinions concerning a user permit.

But I do think what everyone needs to keep in mind and "hitch" touched on it..... not all public land is created equal.

In the case of LBL or DBNF to use as examples .... no doubt public ground , federally owned, paid for by everyone... but their intended purpose was defined as a recreational area. Otherwords their intent is shared recreational use...be it horses, atv / off road vehicles, hiking , camping, hunting , fishing ..ect... general outdoor related hobbies. The social impacts between shared users is understandable and honestly should be expected if you use these areas. However even in these situations "user permits " such as the LBL hunter use ,camping , ORV permits are required as is vaccination papers and other fees required to those riding horses.

In the case of KDF&WR's owned WMA's ... defined as Wildlife Management Areas .... the "overall recreational" intent is not there ...and ..no... not everyone paid for it or maintains it to this day. It was bought with the intent of managing wildlife... in turn giving the opportunity for public hunting & fishing as one of the "management" aspects.

So... while I understand .... yes... there are people who ride horses that also hunt/ fish / boat that buy KDF&WR license / P-R financial support. But it was not the intended purpose of the WMA's to be a public recreational areas like LBL or DBNF.

The same argument could be used & probably will be.. by all the other users in the future. They by licenses / pay P-R taxes / financially supported KDF&WR's so their "entitled" to use the property as they see fit to support their other recreational hobbies and that in itself could be unlimited. From atv's / ORV's ... the whole intent of wildlife management will be degraded to a point the use for hunting & fishing will be non-existent from an impact standpoint. The allowance of horses on WMA's has set precedence here ...all others will follow.

So in a nutshell..... yes ...I supported a KDF&WR's WMA user fee then...and do now. Also agree to maintain the integrity of the original intent of the property ...that those "other" activities during hunting seasons should be regulated / limited during that time as a point of safety and as principle .. considering the use of the land and why it exists. I'll also say in lieu of purchasing a user permit... to be fair.. if you can produce any hunting / fishing license or boater registration in your name this would be an exemption... as maybe an age requirement to exempt kids. But those users that cant ... they should buy a user permit... no different than LBL and provide additional financial support to maintain these areas.
Good points JD

willy09

Banned
Oct 15, 2009
What if those riders were PETA folks poising as pleasure riders to spoil the hunt of the evil sportsman?

Well if some liberal PETA tree hugging baby killin whale saving piece of crap deliberately came through screwing with my hunt then I would jerk their butts off a horse and start kickin it or give some fire power in the air and see how broke their horses are and maybe send them on a bucking and run off frenzy

Rodeo man

8 pointer
Aug 31, 2011
I ride horses frequently. Personally, I wouldn't ride on a WMA. LBL, and things like it are a different ball game.

HUNTZVT

12 pointer
Nov 2, 2009
Exiled to West Virginia
If I'm reading this correctly, horses aren't allowed on the WMA's at all during gun season for turkey, deer, or elk. So if someone comes riding through on a horse and screws up your hunt, call the CO.

See page 7, "Horseback Riding"
http://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Documents/1314publiclandhunting.pdf

As far as charging a fee so some of the non-hunters utilizing the WMA's, I'm all for it. Unless you buy a Sportsman's License in TN, you have to buy a permit to hunt on any WMA. They had a small game, waterfowl, and big game. It could get pretty costly if you bought them all individually, that's why I always bought the Sportsman License when I lived there. I don't see any reason KY could add a User Permit for non-hunting or non-fishing activities. My biggest fear would be anti groups using the fact that they have to pay a fee as an argument that they deserve a seat on the council. That could get tricky.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
Whether you ride horses or not your horse money did not pay for those wma's. Your sportsmen dollars did. I have family that ride and used to love to ride when I was younger but not a fan anymore because I have figured out the 90% of riders just want to ride they don't want to pay to ride if they did there would be plenty of private riding areas that people could pay to ride but there aren't because they think they should be able to ride anywhere. My personal opinion if they want a place to ride they could get together and buy a place but most don't. Most want to show up ride toss trash everywhere and then leave after a fun weekend but do nothing as far as up keep. Yes there are plenty of hunters that are the same way but from what I have seen is far fewer horse back riders are willing to put up the time or money for up keep.

Aug 25, 2013
The place I'm talking about it pennyrile state forest its called a WMA with something's but it's not clear. But when it comes house riding during a hunting season it's not. I brung that rule up fast ! Called fish and game and a few others and took a good wile to get a good answer. I have horse riders mess a hunt up (deer turkey and waterfowl) at lest 10 times a year or more. And I'm not bashing them and most don't know but I'm not going to be hunting and shooting when a bunch horse riders are coming near. Or maybe I should !!!! I would be in the right it all of are land but we all have to get along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
The place I'm talking about it pennyrile state forest its called a WMA with something's but it's not clear. But when it comes house riding during a hunting season it's not. I brung that rule up fast ! Called fish and game and a few others and took a good wile to get a good answer. I have horse riders mess a hunt up (deer turkey and waterfowl) at lest 10 times a year or more. And I'm not bashing them and most don't know but I'm not going to be hunting and shooting when a bunch horse riders are coming near. Or maybe I should !!!! I would be in the right it all of are land but we all have to get along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think state forests are paid for with tax dollars, if so they have as much right to be there as you. Sure it sucks and I understand your frustration but unless it is closed to recreation during hunting season there isn't much you can do.

for me, I wish they'd ban the use of atvs on wmas, they tear the woods to shreds and are a massive nuisance and ruin hunts all the time. It has become an epidemic in the areas I hunt, and people used to walk but now no one walks and everyone rides all over every square inch of woods. I seriously doubt the atv stuff will ever be banned or shut down, so it's just something I have to live with as a result of playing on public land,