Public land and horses

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Until a few years ago I felt this way, then I decided alot of our public grounds is paid for from all sorts of revenue streams and everyone should have the chance to use it when they wish. It sucks when a hunt gets ruined but it's part of hunting public ground IMO

Aug 25, 2013
Yeah it's all part of the game. There is no horse riding for the quoted hunt for deer. And they do bring in money and horse riders are doing good things there. I'd say it's a safety thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Until a few years ago I felt this way, then I decided alot of our public grounds is paid for from all sorts of revenue streams and everyone should have the chance to use it when they wish.

Not that I have anything against horse riders but show me one KDF&W owned WMA that was paid for by horse money .

I'll even help you out ... You won't. They were paid for and maintained by sportsmen dollars ... period .

It was suggested a few years ago by the LKS that a user permit should be implemented for those that use the land ... horse riding , bird watching, biking, hiking , ect. Other words those that may not financially support KDF&W through license sales. But as far as I know it never materialized .

Instead it was more or less mandated by the governor as the KDF&W falls under the tourism cabinet . But again no general fund tax dollars were used to purchase the land originally .

Basically their getting a free ride on land bought by the hunters , fishermen & boaters of Ky.

willy09

Banned
Oct 15, 2009
Lot of people run field trial dogs off horseback, they do it at central ky wma between Richmond and Berea all the time. Those guys money went towards it. Granted whoever was turkey Huntin in op was interrupted by pleasure riders and not field trial dogs. But what of those riders was riding to do some scouting for deer hunting of horseback? I have scouted all my life off horseback.

Tyler Durden

Banned
Jan 14, 2014
WKY via TN
Lot of people run field trial dogs off horseback, they do it at central ky wma between Richmond and Berea all the time. Those guys money went towards it. Granted whoever was turkey Huntin in op was interrupted by pleasure riders and not field trial dogs. But what of those riders was riding to do some scouting for deer hunting of horseback? I have scouted all my life off horseback.

What if those riders were PETA folks poising as pleasure riders to spoil the hunt of the evil sportsman?

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Not that I have anything against horse riders but show me one KDF&W owned WMA that was paid for by horse money .

I'll even help you out ... You won't. They were paid for and maintained by sportsmen dollars ... period .

It was suggested a few years ago by the LKS that a user permit should be implemented for those that use the land ... horse riding , bird watching, biking, hiking , ect. Other words those that may not financially support KDF&W through license sales. But as far as I know it never materialized .

Instead it was more or less mandated by the governor as the KDF&W falls under the tourism cabinet . But again no general fund tax dollars were used to purchase the land originally .

Basically their getting a free ride on land bought by the hunters , fishermen & boaters of Ky.

I don't disagree with what you say above, however dbnf is a massive piece of public ground that does not meet your above standards. It is federal and tax money paid for it and continues to pay for its upkeep. There is a ton of horseback riding that happens there

i feel wma should only be used by hunters and only managed for wildlife as that's their purpose. No ATV's no horses etc etc

OldEarnhardtFan

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2014
Northeast of Berea
The WMAs were paid for from funds generated through Pittman-Robertson. These are sportsmen dollars that include a up front tax on guns, ammo, bows, etc. I see no problem with charging a permit fee for non-hunting license holders to use the land recreationally but limiting access during certain hunting seasons......IMO

wademup

12 pointer
Feb 5, 2004
benton, ky, USA.
This is a tricky subject to me because I have multiple friends who both ride horses and hunt, around here I'd say most horse riders are also outdoorsmen and have guns, bows and hunting license, this have paid as much as I have for the WMA's. I could see restricting them for turkey season it's only 3 weeks, but our deer season is 5 months and that starts getting extreme. Most folks around here do most of their serious riding at Wranglers but not everyone has that luxury. The point that horse riders might be PETA in disguise is moot, any bozo PETA guy could buy a license and cause more problems on foot than on horseback. Bicyclists, hikers , bird watchers all have free access to WMA's and you can't ban all of them either. Perhaps you could require all horse riders to possess a license, but which one? Fishing, hunting or do they have to buy a Sportsmans? If you were gonna sell a permit to ride horses do bird watchers have to buy one too, or bicyclists? This is a tricky subject is all I'm saying, it's not as simple as stay outta my way I'm hunting .

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
As I said in my first post...... I'm not against horse riding.... been around horses a big part of my life and a lot of my family have horses.

Also say and agree with wademup... this is a tricky subject from that aspect and back a few years ago when we were discussing it ...probably a 50/50 split on opinions concerning a user permit.

But I do think what everyone needs to keep in mind and "hitch" touched on it..... not all public land is created equal.

In the case of LBL or DBNF to use as examples .... no doubt public ground , federally owned, paid for by everyone... but their intended purpose was defined as a recreational area. Otherwords their intent is shared recreational use...be it horses, atv / off road vehicles, hiking , camping, hunting , fishing ..ect... general outdoor related hobbies. The social impacts between shared users is understandable and honestly should be expected if you use these areas. However even in these situations "user permits " such as the LBL hunter use ,camping , ORV permits are required as is vaccination papers and other fees required to those riding horses.

In the case of KDF&WR's owned WMA's ... defined as Wildlife Management Areas .... the "overall recreational" intent is not there ...and ..no... not everyone paid for it or maintains it to this day. It was bought with the intent of managing wildlife... in turn giving the opportunity for public hunting & fishing as one of the "management" aspects.

So... while I understand .... yes... there are people who ride horses that also hunt/ fish / boat that buy KDF&WR license / P-R financial support. But it was not the intended purpose of the WMA's to be a public recreational areas like LBL or DBNF.

The same argument could be used & probably will be.. by all the other users in the future. They by licenses / pay P-R taxes / financially supported KDF&WR's so their "entitled" to use the property as they see fit to support their other recreational hobbies and that in itself could be unlimited. From atv's / ORV's ... the whole intent of wildlife management will be degraded to a point the use for hunting & fishing will be non-existent from an impact standpoint. The allowance of horses on WMA's has set precedence here ...all others will follow.

So in a nutshell..... yes ...I supported a KDF&WR's WMA user fee then...and do now. Also agree to maintain the integrity of the original intent of the property ...that those "other" activities during hunting seasons should be regulated / limited during that time as a point of safety and as principle .. considering the use of the land and why it exists. I'll also say in lieu of purchasing a user permit... to be fair.. if you can produce any hunting / fishing license or boater registration in your name this would be an exemption... as maybe an age requirement to exempt kids. But those users that cant ... they should buy a user permit... no different than LBL and provide additional financial support to maintain these areas.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
If my tax dollars help keep the Kentucky Horse Park afloat, then do I get to go hunting on their hundreds or thousands of acres? I would guess that I would not. Horseback riding and hunting are not necessarily complimentary activities on the same grounds.

WMA's are for hunting, paid for by hunters. Beshear's a jerk and needs a swift kick in the nether region.

Buford

12 pointer
Mar 15, 2006
Zone 1 bachelor heaven
If my tax dollars help keep the Kentucky Horse Park afloat, then do I get to go hunting on their hundreds or thousands of acres? I would guess that I would not. Horseback riding and hunting are not necessarily complimentary activities on the same grounds.

WMA's are for hunting, paid for by hunters. Beshear's a jerk and needs a swift kick in the nether region.

The only thing worth hunting at the horsepark are the splittails.
Migratory ones are a little easier to decoy.