Public education has failed us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drakeshooter, Jan 14, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I understand everything perfectly. I also know that man won't tell a first responder to let the sob die when he's looking at his son, daughter, or grandchild.

Feedman and drakeshooter like this.
  2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I mean what he said. I have had drug crap going on for 26 years, raised grand kids because of my daughter and she is still doing it. My wife's son is doing it now and making it hard on our grand kids. I have no pity for druggies. If I could, I would lace every gram of meth in the world with cyanide.

3. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    If it was up to me Narcam would be banned. :mad:

JR in KY likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I know you're a tough guy, Carl, but I don't believe that for a minute.
    I'd bet, God forbid, if you found your granddaughter on the bathroom floor with blue lips, light pulse, and a needle by her side you would call 911, instead of waiting awhile and calling the coroner.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I hate to see anyone overdose and if it were my son or grandkid, yeah I would call 911....
    But.
    Enough is enough, you reach a limit where you just have to throw up your hands and let it go.
    The government war on drugs Did Not Work, Does Not Work, and Will Not Work. I don't think the Government Wants it to work. It's a money machine making millions for a lot of people.
    Just like the Messican border. It could be cleaned up in a week using nothing but Humvees and .50 cals. But the liberals and the drug dealers have a vested interest in Not cleaning it up and stopping the Drug trade and the influx of Democrat voters.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    drakeshooter and barney like this.
  6. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’ve got several in my family on drugs I’ve lived the whole ordeal , trust me it would hurt to lose one I’ve lost three already from drugs it hurts , but it hurts so much to see them in a state that they can’t function with out it kids crying mothers and fathers suffering it hurts to seeem die but it also is a relief like I said help them twice third time call family and a backhoe ... And jr in KY you are right I agree with ya 100% all this could slow way down and get better but it will never happen and what’s sad they know it

barney likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The drug crisis has been building for decades and it will likely take decades to fix. It’s absokutely tragic and sad. There is no easy cure.

barney likes this.
  8. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    The cure is slapping society in the face and waking them up , Build the wall filter through illegals , clean out death row by KILLING THEM Like the sentence states , no more life sentence for drug crimes or violent crimes you get Death instead and you only get one appeal with in 6 months we only hold you for a year and your put out of our misery Place the military in our worse drug related crime city’s and turn em loose if your illegal and commit murder you die period with in a week you kill a cop Death one week after his funeral you kill you die , make prisons Prisons work em they don’t work they r locked down 22 hrs a day no open rec no tv no computers and no free schooling period it’s prison you start with this it will never stop but it will slow way down and enough to control trust me Society has gotten to weak and soft

JR in KY likes this.
  9. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown

Follow up from a current educator...

One of my main criticism of today's children is that they approach life with only "low beam" lights on (some do not make it beyond the "parking lights")...they live in the moment, day by day, and have little interest in the "future" (so no "high beams")...along with no future, there is a waning interest in the past-and everyone wants something for nothing...

Remember the millennial generation ('90s-2000) have, based on a fairly recent survey, about the same number of individuals living in their parent's basement not seeking employment as those who are employed...what is the incentive to work, when all things are provided to you ?​

There are lots of dynamics in play...chief among them is the demise of the traditional "nuclear" family--sorry Google, I used a bad word. When I started teaching 23 years ago, only a small percentage of students lived outside of the nuclear family (though divorced parents were already common)...teacher's even made note of how many students received TWO report cards (one for each divorced parent)... Today, I have more students being raised by guardians (grandparents, aunts/uncles most notably) than being raised by parents--so some of the blame falls on our generations...we only wanted to make life better for them--even though better might not turn out very well...we really did have good intentions...

Several of the comments here have validity though...testing does drive education--no teacher will tell you different...for the past ten years or so (following the SB1 that did away with CATS tests) schools have been pretty much on their own without a well defined, understandable assessment/accountability system...money allocations have followed the assessment/accountability that we did have (mainly the ACT--English, Math, Reading, Science) and a lot of the Arts/Humanities were demoted in favor of Career Readiness pathways (which [the pathways| were not a bad thing themselves)--those have also now been redefined mostly out of existence... We [the education system] really do need a new CATS Assessment/Accountability model that is capable of driving allocations and curriculum...

My own son is a senior this year...he has had the benefit (and on some days he is appreciative of it / some days not as appreciative as I think he should be) of my advise and help with his scheduling...he has achieved a lot on his own and some more with help from his teachers...ACT superscore 32, Reading score a perfect 36, all scores in the 30s except Math 28...he has passed 7/7 AP courses across a wide curriculum including history (he knows who Stalin, Mao, Lenin, etc are...he can even relate most of the history in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"), he is taking 5 additional AP classes ( Calculus BC, Physics 2, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Literature) that if he passes will net him enough college credit to start as a second semester college sophomore (though I have already told him that he must retake all college courses in his major)... He is planning on attending UK (or UL or Morehead) and double majoring in Civil Engineering and Chemistry. The school he attended, a rural, farming-class public HS (that I work at) did its job... The high quality education is out there for anyone willing to take it on--rather than signing up for underwater basket weaving...but it is a choice... Too many are choosing poorly...

xbokilla and grouseguy like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I had a long response ready to submit on this topic, but I decided to delete it.

Public school failed me as a child, and 25 years later, failed 2 of my children even though Federal law mandates FAPE. I guess the old saying, the apple don't fall far from the tree is appropriate. Me, nor my boys would fit down that one and only chute that was supposed to fit all students in our district.

Being friends with a few retired teachers confirms how I feel. Children were done wrong here.

Anyhoo..
    This construction worker sums up nicely how I feel in one minute!
    There is a little language in the video, viewer discretion is advised.

Meatstick and EdLongshanks like this.
  11. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    LOL. I'm with ya bud

barney likes this.
  12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That dude is awesome.

barney likes this.
  13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    the government doesnt pay for anything. the people do.. rich dont count, as both partys have the rich, both are the gov. so when they say the gov., or the rich will pay, who are they talking about?

barney likes this.
  14. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Where do they think the government gets the money? ....hummmmm, well I guess they print and mint it!