Public dove fields

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by joelwalters, Aug 20, 2017.

1. joelwalters

joelwalters Spike

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    Has anyone been out to check how the plantings did on any of the public fields? In particular Griffith Woods, Clay WMA, and Bath County, or others in the bluegrass region.

2. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I have never been to a public dove hunt before. Lots of private, but never public. Has anyone had much success on the public hunts?

3. joelwalters

joelwalters Spike

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    A few years ago there were many more private leased fields than we have access to now. There were 5 private fields around Flemingsburg alone. Now it seems to just be the WMAs and a small number of leased fields. I have done well at the public fields many times. You just have to put up with a bunch of scary safety issues and crowds but if you stick it out for the day you can get a limit.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    The leased fields I've checked have done well

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Miller welch WMA in Madison county had the WORST stand I've ever seen. They have someone new taking over the management and he needs to be fired already. Ive never seen a WMA that bad before. The plots they planted in sunflowers are being choked out by weeds. 90% of that field isn't even visible outside of the first 10 rows of sunflowers. Just stay away from it all together. They won't address that place until the people that run dogs complain about it. Easily the worst WMA in the state these days.