Proposed Kentucky Sales Tax Increase

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Regulator623, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    We need another Boston Tea Party, "armed" Taxation Without Representation.

2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I always believed that when one reaches the age of 65, and lives on their own property, they should be exempt from paying yearly property tax. However this would only apply to the property & home they actually reside in, and not other properties they might own. Also, their name must appear on the Deed as the lawful owner of said property and not one of their offspring.

3. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I'm not sure who did it,.....but the way you said it I'll assume Republicans. I'm no fan of them cancer sticks and question any 18 -20 year old's intelligence that smokes them,....however,......I think it also stupid to raise the age to buy a stupid cigarette when the draft age is still 18....so Duster I'm gonna give you that one. Whoever voted for it or signed it is a sh!t for brain,..regardless of party.

JR in KY and Dark Cloud like this.
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    One issue should have no bearing on the other. People pay enough taxes already. Period. Why not cut back on spending instead?

5. The minimum age for tobacco use is now set by Federal law, it was raised to 21 as a companion bill to the $1.4 trillion spending bill and passed with BIPARTISAN congressional support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/27/health/us-tobacco-age-21-trnd/index.html

6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    As bad as I hate tobacco, I don't see how you can rationalize saying a person under 21 can't buy cigs, but they are old enough to send to a war zone and die for their country.

yote hunter and PUBLIC RAT like this.
  7. We rationalize they can’t buy alcohol and have for decades. Imho 21 should be the brand new age of majority for everything. Too bad the voting age would take a constitutional amendment and that will NEVER happen. Doubt another amendment ever passes.

barney and reivertom like this.
  8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    This bill wont make it anywhere. I'm not concerned about it, but will be in the future if it ever does have a chance.

RLWEBB likes this.
  9. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    The one that really ticks me off is when they reduce your social security if you work after you begin to draw. I paid social security taxes all my freakin life. It shouldn't matter whether or not I make a little income after I retire. There is no justification in reducing my monthly benefit because I'm making a little money. I paid the money in, I should get the same return whether or not I'm working.

Nock, rabbit dawg, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    It already does. I have to pay property tax on my rental houses but not my home. The county clerk herself told me that and the tax bills coming to my house show it.

11. It’s called the Homestead Exemption and it only exempts a set amount, the first $39,300 at this time.

https://revenue.ky.gov/Property/Residential-Farm-Commercial-Property/Pages/Homestead-Exemption.aspx

davers likes this.
  12. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
  13. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’d say there’s a lot of places where the PVA can take care of that for you. Wink, wink.

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So there went that really ignorant idea that local republicans changed the legal age to buy tobacco products and needed to make up for the shortcoming in lost tax revenue. :rolleyes:

drakeshooter likes this.