Proposed changes for 17-18 season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bird whisperer, Dec 7, 2016.

1. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    TAKEN FROM KDFWR PRESS RELEASE-

The commission recommended changes to deer hunting regulations for the 2017-2018 deer seasons. Only center fire modern firearms are legal for deer hunting. Air rifles .35-caliber and larger and powered by an external compression tank will be legal during the modern gun deer season. The restrictions on barbed broadheads will be removed for archery deer hunters.

The commission also recommended changes to deer hunting tagging requirements to allow hunters to remove the hide or head from a deer carcass before telechecking the deer. Hunters must still complete their hunter log at the time of harvest. Those processing deer in the field must insure a proof of sex if the carcass is cut into pieces, deboned or the head and hide removed. All pieces of the carcass that prove the sex of the deer must be transported together.

The commission also proposed changes for deer hunting on state parks, wildlife management areas and other public lands. These changes go into effect for the 2017-2018 deer seasons:

• Require an unbroken hunter orange hat or vest visible from 360 degrees to be firmly secured on all manufactured ground blinds on wildlife management areas (WMAs) open for modern gun deer season, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife quota deer hunts and the early and late muzzleloader deer seasons.
    • Remove the one deer per day daily bag limit on all Kentucky Fish and Wildlife quota hunts. Quota hunt bag limits now default to the bag limit applicable to the county in which the hunter is located.
    • Remove the 15-inch inside spread antler restriction for deer on all WMAs.
    • Open the following WMAs to early youth deer season and free youth weekend: Redbird WMA in Clay and Leslie counties, Beaver Creek WMA in McCreary and Pulaski counties, Mill Creek WMA in Jackson County, T.N. Sullivan WMA in Franklin County, Mullins WMA in Kenton County, Twin Eagle WMA in Owen County, Dennis-Gray WMA in Adair County, Green River WMA in Taylor and Adair counties and Rockcastle River WMA in Pulaski County.
    • The following WMAs will open to the late muzzleloader deer season: Dewey Lake WMA in Floyd County, Fishtrap Lake WMA in Pike County, Paintsville Lake WMA in Johnson and Morgan counties, Ping-Sinking Valley WMA in Pulaski County, Knobs State Forest and WMA in Bullitt County, Mullins WMA in Kenton County, Twin Eagle WMA in Owen County, Veterans Memorial WMA in Scott County, Dr. James R. Rich WMA in Owen County, Griffith Woods WMA in Harrison County, John A. Kleber WMA in Franklin and Owen counties, John C. Williams WMA in Nelson County, Kentucky River WMA in Henry and Owen counties, T.N. Sullivan WMA in Franklin County, Curtis Gates Lloyd WMA in Grant County, Taylorsville Lake WMA in Spencer, Anderson and Nelson counties, and Yellowbank WMA in Breckinridge County.
    • Open Mill Creek WMA in Jackson County to the first weekend of modern firearms deer season and remove the deer quota hunt on the area.
    • Open Rockcastle River WMA in Pulaski County to the first weekend of modern firearms deer season as well as the archery and crossbow deer seasons under statewide regulations.
    • Open the newly acquired Rolling Fork WMA in Nelson and Larue counties under statewide regulations for deer hunting.
    • On Taylorsville Lake WMA in Spencer, Anderson and Nelson counties, remove the third deer quota hunt in January. Remove also the preference points for harvested female deer and the antlerless only requirement on the first Taylorsville WMA quota hunt.
    • On West Kentucky WMA in McCracken County, drop the last day (Wednesday) of the five-day deer quota hunt and create a mentor shotgun-only deer quota hunt on the “A” tract of the area during the normal December quota deer hunt.
    • On Big Rivers WMA and State Forest in Crittenden and Union counties, allow for small game hunting and the October shotgun season for turkey during the archery/crossbow quota hunt on the area.
    • Create unmanned Kentucky Fish and Wildlife administered quota deer hunts on the following state resort parks: Kincaid Lake State Park in Pendleton County, Dale Hollow State Resort Park in Cumberland and Clinton counties and Kenlake State Resort Park in Marshall and Calloway counties.
    • Remove the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife check stations at Lake Barkley State Resort Park in Trigg County and Greenbo Lake State Resort Park in Greenup County.
    • Create special deer hunts on the following state parks: Taylorsville Lake State Park in Spencer County, John James Audubon State Park in Henderson, My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown, Greenbo Lake State Park in Greenup County, Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park in Robertson County and Carter Caves State Resort Park in Carter County."

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Wow, I like a lot of that. Late mz on my wma and finally changing that foolish reg allowing quartering of deer before you telecheck and removing the spread limit

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Agreed the current rule on quartering/removing hide is stupid. We only have like one ridge where we hunt where you can get phone service and it's been a pain in the butt going up in that ridge to call them in or driving down the road until we get service.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I know its like that here. still plenty of places that you cant get cell service and believe it or not, not everyone has a cell phone..Quartering has always been a normal,easy way to get animals out of bad,rough places. Glad to see it changed.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yep for us we enjoy doing that as a group. We hang over a big limb, skin and quarter and put in the cooler then the one who harvested the deer can make the cuts he wants on his own at his home. We hunt about 35 mins from Lexington and have no phone service in most spots so I know it's got to be tough on my mountain friends.

KYBOY likes this.
  6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I also just saw where the special commission meeting in January to discuss changes in the elk hunting will also discuss a wanton waste law. See "f" below.

Commission meeting January 6th:
    https://app.fw.ky.gov/Calendar/Detail.aspx?ID=52069

Description
    Pursuant to KRS 61.823, the Chairman of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Commission has called a special meeting to discuss the topics listed below.
    1. Call to Order: Jimmy Bevins, Chairman
    2. Discussion Item: Amend 301 KAR 2:132 with the following changes:
    a. Compress or reduce the elk season;
    b. Eliminate elk hunting in January;
    c. Establish a regulation to eliminate elk hunting during deer season;
    d. Establish a regulation to mandate a minimum bull size of 3 points on one side;
    e. Establish a regulation to mandate wounding an elk ends that hunt if the animal is not successfully retrieved. Convicted hunters get substantial penalties, plus lose the right to hunt elk. Guides lose guide license for 10 years;
    f. Establish a wanton waste regulation for elk, deer, and bear with substantial penalties;
    g. Establish a regulation to establish refuges (no hunting) areas at tourist/viewing areas;
    h. Requests for Management and Data Collection Plans to be developed by the Department for Commission Discussion.

3. Action Item: Amend 301 KAR 2:132
    4. Executive Session – If needed
    5. Return to Regular Session
    6. Adjourn

7. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    I was hoping they would give us a few more doe days in Zone 4..

8. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Hard to see them going the wanton waste way after having one of the Biologist tell me why the state didnt need-want one. Will have to wait and see where they go with that.

9. 44mag

44mag 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2005
    irvine
    Heres a suggestion... Why cant we in zone 3/4 counties get an extra weekend to hunt sorta sucks when zone 1/2 gets thxgiving wknd n those extra days to kill a biggun.... Im not sayin give us more doe days just more days to get in woods and its alot harder hunting benches n hollers waitin for a big one to cruise thru. Not everybody has a place to go in a zone 1/2 and i own land in zone 3 i would just like more chance in the woods.... Jmo tho!

davers and DePre like this.
  10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Some of that stuff is good, but I don't know about opening some of those wmas up for late ML. For example, veterans and kleber/rich already have 2 gun quota hunts. Toss a 10 day muzzleloader season in after that December quota and you'll be lucky to have any deer left after a few years, but maybe thats what there after.

Some of those wmas aren't very big either. Twin eagle and Sullivan are only about 100 +/- acres in size. I'd have safety concerns with gun hunts on small places like that.

DePre likes this.
  11. DePre

DePre 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2016
    I agree. I have a few opinions on some of the season dates and whatnot but I'm not going to get started on that. I'm not a purist by any means and will pick up my rifle or muzzleloader when the opportunity arises, but I really enjoy the limited pressure that bow hunting offers on most of our WMA's. I'm not a guy that has a lot of options with gun hunting of either fashion either. I just fear the smaller plots of public land will suffer somewhat as well as the WMA's that currently hold multiple quota hunts every year. Just my opinion.

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    This is my issue too. Mullins in Kenton is around 200 acres, and borders I-75 in a couple places. Lloyd is larger, 1000 acres, but wide open fields for a large portion of that, 400-500 acres, which to me, constitutes a safety issue on a public muzzleloader hunt. I used to hunt it a lot with a bow, and stayed away from the fields because there were always people lining the edges.

Im curious what input, if any, was given from the WMA managers and KYDFW officers that payroll it. Or did they just look at a map and make a decision?

13. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    They will have to be careful hunting these,several homes very close to TN Sullivan. Other than that,glad they are opening up WMAs
    Gives more hunters , LAND TO HUNT

14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    100-200 acres? that's too small to gun hunt of any kind Id say..Our wma is over 9000 acres and most the areas that can be gun hunted are either reachable by boat or a two hour walk in. So most people wont even MZ hunt it anyway..

15. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I was a little off. Mullins is 259 acres, but the entire east side borders I-75. There are also a fair number of homes around it. I've attached a link to the KYDFW PDF file of the WMA map.

Someone please tell me how this is a good idea.

http://fw.ky.gov/More/Documents/MullinsWMA_ALL.pdf