Propane wall heater

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by kyoutdoorsman, Nov 23, 2019.

1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    I don't know about propane but natural gas ventless, if used as primary heat source, will cause more condensation than vented especially in a small room. I saw a mobile home ceiling start sagging after a ventless natural gas was installed.

2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Just make sure you have several Carbon Monoxide detectors.

00noturkey and EdLongshanks like this.
  3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I like the radiant heaters better than the blue flame. They don't seem to put out as much vapor....at least my garage windows don't get as wet.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    We have 3 in our old mason county farm house. We only really use two. You are not supposed to sleep in the same room as the unit, according to our propane delivery guy. They definitely work for sure. I can condition the better in the old farm house than I can in my home. Both a/c and heat.

5. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    That's right! They also usually have a low oxygen sensor, but a little fresh air in the house wouldn't hurt. I don't know if I really want to totally trust them. We have a wood burner in our deer cabin, and we always keep a window cracked to keep some air coming in. Any flame uses up O2.

barney, aaronc and EdLongshanks like this.
  6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i agree with; take care using vent-less propane heaters, or any kind of vent-less gas device.. same for wood burner...there is a wood insert, here in the modular home. i think maybe 80% to 90% of the heat, is wasted. just goes up the vent.. with a properly vented iron wood burner, it could be the other way around. even more so if it were baffled on the inside..

JR in KY likes this.
  7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

We have a farm store here in Murray called Orscheln’s it’s about like a cross between Rural King and the old Uncle Lee’s. Has a little bit of everything. Which my wife had mentioned to me she wanted us to run by today as she had been in there lately and spotted a Christmas gift she wanted to get. Long story short... their running Black Friday deals and I went with her.

Ended up buying the Mr Heater Big Buddy portable heater on sale today for $119 plus I got another $25 off for joining their rewards program today. So .. I ended up getting the heater for $94. Which I went back and bought the 12 ft hoses and fuel filters to run it on Up to 2- 20lb grill cylinders. Which the heater itself is 18,000 btu on the high setting and has a built in battery operated fan to help circulate the heat.

I was playing around with it this afternoon and even brought it into the house to see how it would do. Which man all I can say is it’s a kick butt heating machine. Really didn’t realize how much these things put out. Which supposedly safe for indoors with the oxygen sensor safety and plan on using it as back up heat here at home or even the cabin when don’t want to fire the wood stove up.

kyoutdoorsman and Ataulbe1 like this.
  8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    They will flat put out some heat. My buddy has one and its hard to beat for a pop up camper.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    supposedly safe.. not to say, i dont use one... pop up campers still have infiltration, outside air gets in. the old sears tent, i used, i hung a Coleman lantern in it to stay warm. hung it from the top of the tent. you can tell, by the way i write, it didnt affect none.. :D:Do_Oo_Oo_O

10. biged57

biged57 Spike

Nov 17, 2013
    My mom heats her house with three wall mounted ventless natural gas heaters has been for years never had a problem

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Great name buddy. In fact, I think it’s scientifically proven the best.

We heat our farm house with a propane furnace and multiple wall heaters. We air condition with window units. I can control the temperature better in that old farm house than I can in my 1998 built house up here.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    At least the effect of the lantern didn't seem to affect knowing how to use the correct effect in a sentence.o_O

00noturkey likes this.
  13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    ^^^^ ya got me.. i should have said, using vent less heat never afflicted me, or affected my spelling. mostly i can go 5 words, before spell check kicks in. :)

barney likes this.