Processing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 Spike

Mar 21, 2016
    Just process your own. Then you know exactly what you are getting, and how it is handled.

2. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I never go to them just some guys were talking and said you could not be sure of what your getting figured they labeled someway where you got back what you took

3. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Its knaive to believe that when there are 75 deer in a slaughter house you will get only yours back. Many many years ago I took a deer to a proccessor, trying to save a few $$, i skinned mine, and carefully wrapped in plastic bags to keep clean. Was told to drive around back and unload. There, in a huge pile, on the grimy floor, were deer, some skinned, some not. Naturally the ones that were had hair plastered all over the meat from ones that had not been skinned. Like a rookie, I left my meat, picked up the next week and paid them. I wound up giving it all away, could not bring myself to eat it. No reason to believe they would not grind 200-300# batches of meat together for their speed and convenience, and just give you your weight. You can request only yours, and pay a premium, but how would you know they did. I want my meat, that has been properly handled, and not some gut shot, wounded, adrenlin pumped rank rutting buck that suffered from a fedtering wound, got gutted late, rode in the truck all day to be shown off, then proccessed in filthy conditions. I do my own, like every hunter should. Thats part of it.

dirtstalker, Meatstick and barney like this.
  4. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Also, the above mentioned proccessor has a big reputation, and I see many people use them. When you slop around in meat all day, everyday, they all get like that. Im pretty picky about my proccessing. Its so easy a caveman, can and did, do it.

davers and Meatstick like this.
  5. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I have taken to a couple places in the past and am 100% certain I was not getting my own meat back. Don’t do any fancy cuts or make any brats or anything but I do all my own now. I get roast, tenderloins, burger and plenty of it for canning. All I want and I know it is as clean and healthy a meat as anyone could put in their body.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Been doing mine for years. Ever since I help once at a Deer processor. Seen thing I couldn't believe. Worked half a day. Throwing butt holes Penises in Hamburger and laughing about it. Leaving the hair on the Hamburger meat. Plus mixing Hamburger meat into all other meat then weighing it out. SAYING if people don't want these things then they shouldn't leave them. EVEN THO they had their OWN GUYS outside skinning the Deer.
    NO WAY I would take mine again. Do my own. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING FROM THEM.

7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Again, like everything else, you have to vet your processor. Mine is so particular at giving you your own deer, they even log the date and time it was skinned. I toured the facility, and asked for an explanation of their process, and was given it happily. I don’t get any, but he even has the mixture down to 3lb increments for summer and breakfast sausage, which is his minimum amount. If your processor won’t do that for you, then yeah, do it yourself.

8. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Why would you use a processor anyway? It's not difficult at all. Save 75 bucks or whatever it costs now. Grinders are really cheap now too. Those who say they don't have a place to do it are making an excuse. I processed my own while living in an apartment complex previously in Nashville. Just debone in the woods.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Sounds like the pile at boones sometimes.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    $120 now at a couple of places. Have my grinder picked out. Hopefully up and running next season now that i have the time. What you pay for 3-4 commercially processed deer will pay for a grinder and accessories.

11. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    I went to Boone's for several years then I took my last one to Boone's about 10 years ago. I ordered several types of summer sausage flavors, but when I went to pick up the finished product they were out of one of the kinds I ordered. I asked how could you be out, I gave you meat to make it? They couldn't give me a straight answer. That day I realized you don't get YOUR deer back. I never went back.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I sent the professor to a small processor outside of Glasgow. I knew he wanted all his ground made into summer sausage, and I knew they only dealt with one deer at a time. I'm pretty confident he got his doe back today.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  13. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Is there not a inspector that visits from time to time i know processing fish to sell everything has to be stainless and washed down and cleaned every day and someone comes around to inspect from time to time i have always done my own but the last few years i have given them to people who need them worse than i do Im not familiar with process places there were just some guys discussing it the other day

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I am pretty certain they are inspected regularly. They have to stay sanitary. But the bigger processors do batches of summer sausage in large batches, and they won't hesitate to mix deer to get a full batch for the mix......

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I trust the processor I use. It’s a family run business. The facility is immaculate. They take pride in their work and it shows. It never ceases to amaze me what a well run operation they have going.

carnivore and bgkyarcher like this.