Processing your own--in the heat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Sep 11, 2019.

1. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I wait till it cools off some. Besides not wanting to risk having to leave a deer overnight and it being ruined, my medication makes me unable to tolerate the heat.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I just enjoy it more when it’s cooler out. Nothing wrong with early season hunting but cooler weather and deer hunting just feels right to me. I will say this, for those that have never processed your own deer, give it a shot. Is it some work? Sure. But it feels very rewarding going from the field to the freezer. I have a cuz that didn’t start deer hunting until about 7-8 years ago and he’s almost 60 now. His first deer he took to a processor then next one he killed my dad worked it up with him and man he’s gone processing crazy. Makes his own jerky and summer sausage in a little building behind his house. You’d think he’s done it his whole life. The joy he gets from having me try his jerky, summer sausage, etc... is contagious and dang he may have gotten a late start but he’s a natural. Nothing wrong with a processor at all, I’ve had some meat I’ve taken for summer sausage, jerky, etc...but for us, the work after the hunt has became almost as enjoyable as the hunt. Wish all of you much success this year!

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I hunt the early season, but I will only shoot a good buck in the heat. If I kill one, I get to it, gut it, and fill the body with ice ASAP. You want that meat cooled ASAP. I won't shoot a doe until the temps are cooler..... Call me lazy, but I don't want to fool with one when it is hot....

Brody, mac0492 and elkaholic like this.
  4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I make all my own sausage, jerky, whatever, but do it when I have time, and because my wife needs gluten free ingredients. I just do not want to spend 2-3 hours after an evening hunt cutting one up, packaging it, an disposing of the carcass when I have to get up at 0430 the next morning. Plus, frankly, I’ve worked hard to get to a position in life where I’m comfortable financially, and my time is worth more than the $85-100 it costs to have a deer cut up.

When I did do it on my own, it was rewarding, as you say, to do the whole thing by myself. I’ve got the week before gun off, so I may try it again if I get one that week.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    No huge rush honestly. If it’s very hot I’ll pack the cavity with bags of ice on the ride home(if I’m hunt’n away)..
    If I’m at home I just go about business as usual .
    I can have a deer completely broke down, trimmed of all silver skin and in the freezer in a little over an hour anyway. Then later I make sausages, can it etc
    I’d much rather do my own personally

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I hear ya on the evenings before work. It’s like hunting in general. I’ve passed on a lot of evening deer, especially with a bow, due to work obligations the next day. Honestly, unless I’m off, a Friday or Saturday evening is about the only time I get to hunt evenings.

bondhu likes this.
  7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Later in the season isn’t too bad. When it gets dark around 6. This time of year I only hunt evenings when I don’t have to work the next day. Even without a deer, it’s still 9 before I roll in the door.

WMAallDAY likes this.
  8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yep or later. About 35 mins to the closest place I hunt.

9. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Ice in the cavity is great but the majority of meat comes from the hams, shoulder and back straps.
    Make sure to strap a bag of ice between the ham and pack ice around the shoulders and back area.
    I do this and wrap up in a trap to hold everything in place if I can’t quarter out ASAP and get on ice.

10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Sucks not having a truck...

WMAallDAY likes this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I put a dozen or more in both of the SUV's I had. Explorer and then a Montero Sport.

12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

How did you work the blood control aspect?

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You can buy a cargo liner that is "fluid" proof. I paid about $50 for each one. It is formed to fit your cargo area, and has ties to hold the sides up. I put two does and a buck in the Montero Sport one morning. Not a drop of blood on the carpet.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You can also buy one of those metal frames that slips into the trailer hitch receiver. Plenty big enough for a deer.

mac0492 and ojibwa62 like this.
  15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My buddy and I put in a walk in cooler this fall. But both of us wont hunt in the heat. Velvet Busks don't interest us. Plus drather hunt when its cooler any ways. More enjoyable.