Processing ur own deer

HUNTZVT

12 pointer
Nov 2, 2009
Exiled to West Virginia
Makeing summer sausage is easy i always thought it was hard till i tried it! I like adding sharp cheddar cheese to it, man its good. Ive got 2 bonus tags to fill and both will be summer sausage.

We've been processing our own dear for 15 years, but I just started making summer sausage four years ago. We started giving it in gift baskets with honey and homemade jelly last year for Christmas. It was a big hit, especially with my non-hunting inlaws. I'll be spending T-giving weekend running mine and dad's smokers.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I do mine in the oven. I think im going to try some slim jim size sticks. Ive got some small caseings. I made a pvc stuffer that works on a cordless drill that holds 3 lbs. It cost about $25.00 to make and stuffs like a dream.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
Everything I've ever read says that washing the cavity of a gut shot deer with water just spreads bacteria around and makes a bad problem worse. Wiping out with paper towels or rags is advised.

WETWADERS

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2006
W of Ashland, E of Murray
We've been deboning everything and putting all the meat in several 7 gallon trash bags. Bags go in a cooler and add ice. I tried doing it with the meat loose in a cooler and draining the water off often, but during processing there was A LOT of watery blood, especially when grinding. We usually give it 2-3 days to age, but I have yet to be able to get to the buck I killed Saturday. How long can I leave the bags in the ice water before the possibility of spoiling?

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
I can understand aging before cooking and eating it, but why age it before processing?

Aging beef, deer , elk .... Needs to be done before the processing and freezing. Which once you slice steaks... ect and package there's no aging once froze ... and begins the "shelf life " .. so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoony

6 pointer
Nov 7, 2003
Radcliff
I used to age them, but one year, my son shot a doe during the early youth hunt and since it was warm, we processed that deer right away. After tasting that venison, seemed that aging didn't make a difference so now I process right away unless it is cold enough to let hang overnight. For an older buck, I would probably still age it for a few days providing the temps stayed around the 30's to 40's. I would also leave the hide on to prevent loss of meat from drying out.

If you placing meat in coolers, I would make sure to keep the meat separate from water. Also, you really can't age meat correctly in a refrigerator. Common refrigerators have way too much moisture