Processing questions

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Nov 19, 2018.

How many hours does it take you to process a deer, start to finish, from dead deer to freezer?

1. 1-2

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. 3

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. 4

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. 5

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 7 or more

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    First question is in the poll.

Let's assume I get the deer gutted wherever it dies, but I'm on private land, for example, and the owner would rather I didn't hang it up and quarter it where his kids can see that.

Where would you break down a deer if you couldn't do it at home?

And then let's further assume, for example, I'm in a small apartment with no garage and the people I live with don't want me cutting up meat there.

Where would you butcher a deer if you couldn't do it at home?

I ask because processors are getting fewer and farther between, quite literally, and where I am about to be living full-time there isn't a processor anywhere around for at least an hour...and my home living situation just doesnt conduce to handling any part of processing. I really don't want to use a processor anyway.

Hope y'all can help--I dont see myself able to do any more deer hunting till I get this figured out.

RuggedRack likes this.
  2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Usually a couple days or whenever they call me to come pick it up.. lol honestly I don't process my own deer..

1wildcatfan and MoMan like this.
  3. RuggedRack

RuggedRack Fawn

Nov 2, 2018
    NKY
    Fortunately for me I have a guy right down the road. Now with that said I have been in a bind before we used a hitch hoist and processed right off the tailgate of a truck bagged it up brought it home then rinsed it and vacuumed sealed it. Maybe you could pull this off ?

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I can break a deer down pretty quick. That is to say that from the time I hang, skin, and cut the primary cuts from the carcass it takes me roughly 30- 45 minutes. I think I timed myself once and knowing the clock was on me I went faster than normal and had one broke down in like 22 minutes.

Once I break one down to that point everything slows way down. Then it’s a matter of separating cuts, trimming out individual cuts, grinding trim for burger, and finally packaging everything in vacuum sealed bags. This process may take up to two or three hours depending on interruptions.

If you add on making snack sticks, sausage and jerky then you add time accordingly.

As far as your dilemma goes, I don’t have a great answer besides; where there is a will there is a way. Maybe a friend or coworker has a place that you can utilize to get the chore done. Once your past the first part you don’t need a ton of room. Just a table and a sharp knife.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Where are you?

BowOnly likes this.
  6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I answered 4 hr. But I don't grind much if any. Steaks, Roasts, Jerky and stew meat. Once in while if I have more than one deer I ll make sausage. I think its a good idea to process your own deer because it allows you see what you are getting and where all the different cuts are. Helped a neighbor breakdown a deer last year. said he wasn't getting a good yield and wanted me to teach him. He would not even use the neck! He was very thankful and I got meat!

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  7. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Right now, Boyle County, and here I've got no problems--though I have heard that there's nobody around here taking deer any more.

I live in Rockbridge Cty, Virginia, and there's where I run into a snag.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Id look for more likeminded roommates as a long term solution. I had a roomate that took exception to me cleaning rabbits in the kitchen cause it freaked his lady friend out thinking i was skinning a cat. Pretty sure i ruined her mood. I soon moved in with some other guys i fit in with a little better. Theres rednecks everywhere you go.
    Craigslist ad or va hunting forum. Ask for help. I suppose someone here near your hunting geounds may take pity but i gather you want a place in VA.
    What are you willing to offer in exchange for a place to cut up a deer?
    Maybe someone who processes their own would do it for the market price.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    BowOnly likes this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I guess I don't know have a vote in poll. Ours gets gutted as soon as we get to it. Then goes to shed for skinning and quartered. Don't take just a few minutes to skin and quarter. Then quarters goes into coolers soaked over night in ice water. Then next day deboned back in coolers for another over night soaking. Then next day cut up ground up wrapped up into freezer. So 2 days and a half.

10. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    What about field quartering, put in cooler on ice and then debone a quarter at a time at home?

I'd find a way even if it meant taking it to public ground to work it up.

xbokilla, bearleft and Ataulbe1 like this.
  11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    <1 hr to skin, quarter, put on ice
    4-6 days in cooler on ice
    ~2 hrs to trim meat and cut steaks, etc
    ~2 hrs to grind, vacuum seal, in freezer

Next year I'm buying an electric grinder! Did a whole deer in ground this year and I still can't lift my arm lol

12. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    If I was in that same situation I would say 4 hours. A 2 hour round trip to drive it to the processor and a 2 hour round trip to pick it up. That is before I would quit hunting. With the guide lines you have laid out it's pretty tough.

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Depends on the weather for me, work schedule. I like to let them a few days if I can

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Broke plenty down in the field right on the tail gait straight into a cooler of ice in September when its warm. From the time I hang one up to get the hams, shoulders, tenderloins, and extra burger meat off of one im in it about 45 minutes. To further process that into grinding meat, steaks, and roasts add about another 2 hours. If I were you I would find some guys close by that are interested in hunting just like you and give them your dilemma. I'm sure one will loan a garage if needed.

RuggedRack and carnivore like this.
  15. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Where I hunt usually can bring it home and hang it to gut. Lot easier thst way. But, I've field dressed several when thst wasn't the option