Processing Cost

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ataulbe1, Nov 11, 2020.

1. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    c&j is $110 for straight cut for 2020
    All the extra stuff isn’t priced by them it’s sent to Webb’s and sold by Webb’s (summer sausage and such).
    Taxidermy is the running average in the Louisville are $450-500 for a shoulder mount
    $125-150 for euro

2. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I am considering to start doing it as a side piece. Nothing huge...maybe 60-70 a year. But don't know if I want it to interfere with my hunting. I would charge $100-$120.

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive thought about doing the same. Dont have the right equipment just yet..but am gathering it slowly. I would only do.straight cuts..no specialty stuff.

4. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Correction, C&J is not doing shoulder mounts anymore, just euros.
    https://cjdeer.com/

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    A lot aren't. Anderson County has NO deer processors this year as best we can find out. One closed up shop & the other is doing beef only from what I've been told. I'm getting emails & phone calls every day from folks asking where they can get theirs done this year. I'm telling them to get the KY Afield DVD on how to butcher your own...

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    I like butchering my own, i have only processed one with professionals. It depends on if i can take the deer to my buddies house or not. He has a meatroom with a grinder, a place to hang the deer. We moved and cant process where we are anymore.
    But i would LOVE to have a place to set up my own meatroom. It would be *on*

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Our "meatroom" is our kitchen. It gets pretty primal sometimes, especially when we're doing more than one deer at a time. I'll get all our equipment (meat totes, knives, scrap buckets, cutting boards, wrapping paper, tape, vacuum sealer, bags, etc.) hauled up out of the basement tomorrow & get it all clean & ready to go. Now just fingers crossed that we can get at least one, pref 2, deer down on Saturday before the rain starts... (Won't haul up the grinder, patty maker, or any of the sausage making stuff until after all the rest is cut & wrapped and/or vacuum sealed.)

kyhunter99 likes this.
  8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Youre a good woman LH, your hubs is lucky to have you!
    Yeah i cut them up in my kitchen too. Just cant hang them where i live, i looked at grinders like my friend has and got sticker shock.. which hanging and grinding is the main thing now. I just made an amazing deer roast in the instapot and husband didnt touch it. Only eats ground. :/
    Ho hum.
    I pretty much need everything, vac sealer etc.
    Sausage stuff is way out of my league and budget but one day i do want all those things. And my own special room to keep it in. Some girls want diamonds.

barney likes this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    LOL! They're just as likely to be my deer as they are his... We're pretty much tied neck & neck on numbers altho he's way ahead of me on bucks. We both love our venison though so it's a joint effort. Just a word of advise, when you get one, don't go cheap on a grinder. We burned up several small ones before coughing up the bucks to get one of the Cabela's pro grinders & have never looked back. It grinds almost faster than we can feed it & doesn't jam up. (I have to listen to my nephew whine about his el cheapo grinder jamming up EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR.) p.s. When we first got married, my husband wanted to buy me jewelry. I told him I'd rather have guns... Amazingly, he didn't argue. LOLOL!

barney and kyhunter99 like this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Markwells not open?

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    This time next year I hope to have an area set up for processing. May have to come up with something that'll work this year it sounds like.

12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Now just in my experience i seem to observe that women may be better at processing than men--now im sure there may be exceptions to the rule but... ;)
    As for the grinder i looked at the cabelas types but there was such a wide range and some didnt have many reviews

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1-2hp-carnivore-meat-grinder

Is that what im looking for or higher?

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    The taxidermist that did them for him said he was gonna try to do his own thing this year. They barely paid him anything from what I was told. And then they increased their prices and kept paying him the same. Other than that I have no complaints on C&J

ukyager likes this.
  14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Nope. Website says they're shut down due to Covid but what I'm told is that they're doing beef only this year.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We have a 1hp version of the pre-Carnivore from Cabelas. It's a beast & was actually made by Weston. I'm not sure how well a 1/2hp would do - I'd be worried about it gumming up. You might compare the pricing between the new Weston's and the Carnivores. Might also look into www.madewithmeat.com - they advertise professional products for at home use but I'm not sure who manufactures their products.

kyhunter99 likes this.