Primos Power Dogg???

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Thing is we have seen dozens of field tests by several diferent folks and even one sanctioned by a weapons manufacturer. It is true you can kill them with the 17 under the right conditions. You have been very lucky so far. But even you too will change your mind one day. If Randy Watson says one isn't consistant you can bet your paycheck on it. I don't know of anyone who kills more varmints in a season than he does. The nights of the test were awesome, the numbers of critters killed. Only a couple of the animals were coyotes. Itr was done in texas where the coyotes are half the size.

I happen to agree with you on the accuracy of the 22 mag . Most of them are not worth th steel they are made of. But they are improving them. I have one that is doing 3/4 inch groups at one hundred yards. But I stil won't use it at more than 75. Jimmie

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    JDMILLER if you are both confident and competent with your 17 you should not have many problems. I know some so called yote hunters that could not take one with a cannon.

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

That last post could be taken as an insult Gravescohunter. I am not in the habit of encouraging others to use equipment that is not as effective as it should be and you know better also. We both have enough calf killers under our belts to know that ineffective rounds are what cause the majority of these cases.

Jimmie

4. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    Jimmie, no insult intended, just a difference of opinion.Wish i new how many you or me have taken with 22 LR over the years. When I shot 22 all the time I felt perfectly confident hunting coyotes with it.

5. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    I own a Foxpro XR-6 and highly reccomend it if you are looking for a caller. I give 299.00 for mine and well worth it. I use hand calls and digital caller and the lower end Foxpro is great. I like the remote and the 16 sounds can be changed . I down loaded a chicken distress from varmint als for free. The sounds from Foxpro arent that expensive like a $1.00 or $2.00 and can be saved on your computer incase you want to go back and change later.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Guys... I'm new to predator hunting but not to firearms & hunting in general.

I'm not condoning a 17hmr as my or anyones primary yote weapon. All I'm saying ... at LBL... as of now.. your restricted to rimfires or shotguns.. no more.. no less. I dont make the rules but right now a 17HMR is a legal weapon to hunt coyote & bobcat. My choice to use the 17HMR has and always will be my decision or until they decide to limit what rimfires you can legally hunt with. At this time at LBL I'd love to pack my 243...270 or even my T/C Contender scoped 30/30.... I just cant legally right now but soon the restrictions will be lifted to allow centerfires.

I may have been lucky on two kills so far... dont know. All I can say is so far I dont have any reasonable doubt that the 17HMR at close ranges has been effective. I have a bowhunter mentality and getting critters within bow range... or in this case 17hmr range is a bigger thrill to me than squeezing the trigger on one at longer distances.

In my case... it probably wont be a wackem & stackem situation. I may not kill very many yotes dependant on close shots... but inturn I'm going to make an ethical shot. In this situation.. I do not feel I'm under gunned or the 22mag would benefit me either. Regardless of weapon... sometimes critters get away... you could make the same mistakes with a shotgun or centerfire. Believe me... if my thoughts were other than confident ...I would be toting something else.

7. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    JD Miller Hey they sent me the predator 2 even though I ordered the predator 1. But I tried it today with no luck but its in a wma and probably gets a lot of callin. Hey I really like the sounds it has a fawn distress that really sounds good along with a jackrabbit which is a different pitch. Its definitely loud enough and goes every bit of 50 yds. Hey what type of battery (12 v) does the transmitter take ? the instructions are bad. Looks like you have to remove small phillips screws. Im using a Ruger mini 14 which I reload for and get 1 and a half inch groups at 100.yds Im using speer 50 gr tnt bullets which ought to get the job done. good luck and thanks

8. Sand Gap Sniper

Sand Gap Sniper 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    A guy on the predator masters forum built an e-caller for me for $190. It's a great caller, uses an MP3 player, rechargable batteries and is wireless. He also sent it with a bunch of good sounds preloaded on the MP3 player. It works out to about 80 yards away. Weedwalker has hunted with me several times so he could vouch for it. Here is a link showing a call that he built for himself, my caller looks similar to it.

http://www.predatormastersforums.co...636004&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post52636004

If anyone is interested I can get you his contact information.

9. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    JDMILLER Hey if you are killin the yotes go for it. Dont you hate stupid rules! I do dont like the new rimfire only for small game. I like downloading 3030s with 100 gr bullets for squirrels cant do it anymore because of some burocrat in Frankfort that had to make more rules and regulations !! I also dont like the no night hunting laws. Grew up in Ohio where you could night hunt it was a blast. The only reason they dont allow it in Ky is they think you will be jacklighting deer. Again how bout that 12 volt battery in the Johnney Stewart caller? Do you remove the Phillips screws? Is it a lithiom battery? !2 volt would be a big lithiom. thanks again to all !! good yote huntin!! Jimmie have a good hunt in LBL. Let us all know!! KC

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    If you look on the back of the remote...theres two small philips..you have to remove to get to the battery. Also... if your like me..get it in good lighting..you will see some very tiny writing ... A-23 is the battery number.

The battery itself.. is not a flat lithium its a small round -long battery like you would have in your garage door opener remote. Reason I say this... I actually had a new one in a drawer here at home. The only reason I can imagine I had it was for the garage remotes. Should'nt be hard to find... Wal-Mart should have it in electronics.

In my opinion... the remote battery should live a long..long time before replacement. The main call unit takes 4-AA batteries. They last good as well.... I've been using my call fairly regular for over a month and just replaced those batteries today. The old ones were'nt completly dead either....but did'nt want to risk it going dead while hunting this afternoon.

11. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey JD Miller thanks again!! Hey you might want to try another speaker for the Predator 1 . I had one I ordered from Sportsmans Guide last year on closeout( wouldnt work with the jerryrigged tape recorder i had.) But wow does it work with the Predator 2. Its just a small speaker with a short and long cord and 4AA bats. the sound is almost twice as loud when turned all the way up. The long wire supplied could get it out at least 75 yds and would still work cause the basic unit is 40 yds or so. Im going to try it soon. Also The fawn bleat and the jackrabbit on my predator 2 sound real good will let you know! Got mine at Cheaper than Dirt for 30 bucks plus shipping. Good Luck on your hunt!!! dont know the brand of the speaker cause i threw away the packaging last year. KC

12. Palegroe

Palegroe Spike

Dec 18, 2008
    Corydon, Kentucy
    I know this is an old post and I've had my power dog for almost a year, but I called Primos the other day and told them it wouldn't work very far away and they said they had had that problem with a few and sent me a new remote no questions about anything didn't have to show a receipt, date of purchase nothing. Got the new one and it now works about 100 yards away. One thing I have learned todate is everyone I've talked to about predator hunting on these websites or at the companys are the nicest people i have ever dealt with.