Primos Power Dogg???

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Kcoyboy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    ?This e caller was mentioned in another thread. How does this compare to the Fox Pro? Hey I cant afford $500 now either. Anyone have any luck with this caller? How bout other e callers. These Fox Pro people must be making a mint at $500 . I would think you could make money selling another brand for $200. Hey Jimmie have you seen these callers.? You seem to be super knowledgeble on the subject as well as being a pro Yote hunter.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

It's new enough on th market that I haven't even seen one myself.And most of the guys I know wouldn't touch a Primos product if their lives depended on it. I won't buy one myself either. I have blown the howlers and such for folks and told them how to use the blamed things. We even figured out how to tune them and make them work better . Most open reeds can be improved if they are not quite right.

As for the cheap models I have tested both th cass creek and the Johnny stewart and they both work. Just add th cass creek amplifying speaker to either one. The js has a 35 yard remote that is useful in the type places I hunt. Both of these run around 35 dollars. Speaker is another 25.

I have alos hunted with fellows that have owned the cheaper callers and saw no problems with them in the field at that time. I have even hunted with some that are no longer available and can't say anything bad about them except the company went under. Remotes worked out to a hundred yards but we didn't really need that option. The only oen I wasn't sure of was the js with all those sound cards. I would have a hard time keeping up with what I had in the caller and punching the right buttons.

I have not seen a Burnham bros ecaller or Lohman ecaller yet so I can't comment on them.

If I were in the market for a new one I would have to take a long look at the western rivers callers. You can download and change th sounds to what you want yourself at anytime from thier files free of charge. I have seen no problems with them and haven't heard anyne talk about service problems.

I would stick with mouth calls unless you know for sure that you intend to stay in the sport. The coyotes will teach you very well when you pay attention to what it is they are teaching ;-) Jimmie

3. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    I have a powerdogg and have not had any problems with it, also i have used primos calls for years and do not have any problems with them. I dont begin to know how many ive called in with just the mini mag howler.

4. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County
    Kcoyboy,

I can not give a review on the power dog othen than it was an option when I was looking to purchase a new ecaller. If you are interested in other makes, I would suggest that you look at foxpro (XR6 model). I mainly use hand calls but a call that has a remote call help you out in a lot of situations when the wind becomes a problem. You can place the call 50-100yds UP wind which helps put the coyotes pursuit angle between you and the sound. The XR6 will only hold 16 sounds but you can change those sounds at will with a computer. I really like what I have. The XR6 is phasing out and there are some really good deals on them right now plus the support that you get from Foxpro is great. (So I have heard)

Some of the fellers that I work with have the Western Rivers E-Call and they have not complained about it either.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm new to this stuff but for an economical e-caller for a low budget yote hunter.... either one of these would be my reccomendation ...giving the edge to the JS Attractor Predator -1.... because of the remote. This is the one I'm using and it just flat out works. I've called up 4 yotes with 2 kills and no telling how many other yotes that I did'nt see because I did'nt know what I was doing.:D

Its digital calls are of excellent quality.. which I will give props to Johnny Stewart Calls.. they sound as real as any I've heard. The predator-1 has 5 sounds built in... baby bird, cottontail, pup distress, rodent & woodpecker distress. The remote supposedly has a 50 yard range but that may be pushing it pending terrain. You might hang the unit in a tree.. higher elevation to get more distance but on average 35-40 yds.. it works like a charm. Prices vary but even with net specials & shipping... its going to be around $35-40 bucks.

As far as vollume on this call.... many are adding an amplified speaker like those made by cass creek to make it louder. Personally.... at least with mine.... I have'nt seen the need. I have'nt even had the need or urge to turn the sound to max yet. I run it just a little past the half way point... seems plenty loud to me and possibly lets me work my set-ups closer together. I'm also hoping for a bobcat... from what I know... they dont necessarily like extremely loud calling..as where it does'nt bother a yote one bit.

Also... I'm not trying to talk you out of the Powerdog. I've heard good reviews and seen them as low as $99 around Christmas. Their digital.. fixed sounds... and it offers many... especially coyote sounds. I've also heard their remote range far exceeds 100 yds. I just honestly have'nt heard anything that bad about this call and may pick up one myself if I can find one when the price is right.

In my opinion another option would be Johnny Stewarts PM-3 or PM-4. The PM-3 is wired call...but around $99 or less. The PM-4 is wireless with a remote range of 100yds... its around $200 or less. Both of these units use digital sound cards.. which would give you the option to purchase & swap the sounds. As Jimmy stated... these cards might be a pain... I just dont know. However...they do appeal to me personally because it would let you customize your call somewhat to the sounds you want. I think the PM-4 allows you to use 3 of the cards at once. I think theres 4 different sounds per card..so this would be like 12 different calls at your finger tips.

Fox Pro... Western Rivers.... from what I heard their top line but are expensive. I like my toys.. but e-callers getting in the $500plus range is a little much. I may end up with one of these years down the road because they are apparently some of the best according to many.

6. Palegroe

Palegroe Spike

Dec 18, 2008
    Corydon, Kentucy
    Power Dogg

I bought one at the day after thanksgivin sale at Gander Mnt. It was on sale for 99 bucks and I had a 10 buck gift card so thought what the heck I'll try it. It all works good has decent sounds and volume. But I can't get the remote to work over about 30 yards away or work at all if there is anything between you and it, like weeds even. I still like it and 30 yards gets the job done and the sound awayfrom exactly were you are but the box says it will work at 100 yard or further in ideal conditions, I guess like an open parking lot.

7. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    Palegroe , you need to take your powerdogg back or contact primos. I have used my remote out to 100 yrds and it works fine.

8. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I have one, got it for Christmas. I have only had it once but we called in 2 coyotes and a bunch of crows. Seems to work very well. My remote worked out to 70 yards, I didn't try it any further than that.

9. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    ThanksJimmie and everyone for all the help!! anyone else want to say anything keep the info coming. This site is great Ky people helping fellow Kentuckians!!

10. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    JDMILLER thanks much for all the info too Just ordered a Johnney Stewart Predator 1 for about $30 at Cheaper than Dirt will give it a try! the 40 yard range sound good where I hunt its pretty much scrub!

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I think you will like it.

It's a good starter e-caller in my opinion and honestly theres very few callers in that kind of price range with remote. Theres nothing fancy & operation is as simple as it gets. Its cheap enough to make sure you like predator hunting without investing a lot of money on a programable call. I carry it / use it ...along with mouth blown calls. As of now.. I admit I've got a little more confidence in this call than the noise I make with a hand call.

I'm using a 17HMR at LBL right now because the regulations have you limited to rimfires or shotguns. My set-up and placement of the caller is usually close.. somewhere between 30-40 yds... the remote range / operation has never let me down yet. Usually If using a rabbit decoy.. I just place it on the ground beside it. Been several situation I could'nt even see it with terrain and its always worked. With the 17 HMR I'm dependant on & prefer a shot under 50 yds with this pee shooter.

However..if you experience any difficulty from 40-50 yds... elevate it.... hang it up on a tree ...bush...whatever. As long as you have it in your line of sight ... it will operate well at longer distance. On another note ... from using mine.. the battery life seems really good. I'm still using the batteries that came in it and I've been hunting regularly with it since right before Christmas. It's 4-AA for the caller & one A-23 for the remote... and I carry spares in my call bag.. which is not a bad idea with any of the e-calls.

GOOD LUCK!!

12. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    JDMILLER thanks again! Am waitin for it comin FED EX! Will let you know. Which call sequence works the best for you? Wish I lived closer to LBL good luck. Hey whats up with all the hunting regulations there isnt that State Land? Or is it Federal? Even so the Daniel Boone doesnt have near the regulations. The wife and I stayed At Lake Barkley last year during the summer. I noticed all the no firearms signs and said what the heck? In Daniel Boone I can even target shoot whats going on here? KC

13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    As far as call sequence.... all the yotes I've called up has been with the cottontail rabbit distress. I've tried the rodent distress and canine pups but so far no luck.

I usually set-up and hold-off doing anything for 15-20 minutes. Then I begin the call sequence for about 30 seconds...I wait about 5 minutes then run the call again...a little longer. I wait about 5-10 minutes and go again running for about a minute. After that I just stop... wait about 15-20 minutes and go again. It takes me well over an hour to be satisfied its falling on deaf ears before I relocate and try again.

LBL's federal property and its just their rules. Actually after reading several bobcat & yote articles... several states are rimfire only...at least on bobcat. I think its January 26 through the end of February they begin allowing centerfire for yotes...so not long till we get some distance fiepower. It would just be nice if they would ...at least on yotes ...change the rules allowing centerfires.

I will say this... hunting with a rimfire.. makes you work your set-up's closer. It also makes you a little more patient & observant of wind direction. Definitely harder to hunt and you will get busted more times than not.

14. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    In my opinion, a 17HMR is too light for coyotes. If you must use a rim fire then use a 22 win mag with the 40 gr hp bullets. A better choice at the LBL for under 50 yards is a shotgun loaded with hevi shot BB's. Those LBL coyotes come in fast and don't stay long. :D

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    All I can say .... I have called up 4 yotes.... 1- winded me....1- saw my movement trying to get into shooting position.. 2- have dropped in their tracks with one single shot from my 17HMR. No follow up shots were necessary.

Both yotes killed were under 50 yds and I used a 20gr JHP round. Without a doubt shot placement was key but the type of bullet and setting distance limitations is key to using any rimfire for critters the size of yotes. I personally think the 17HMR gets a bad wrap for coyotes because of shots too far and using the 17gr ..poly-tipped frangiable style bullets that basically explode on impact. They may be good on prarie dogs but not on bobcat, fox, and especially yotes.

The 20gr JHP or FMJ are designed for penetration & expansion ..like a big game bullet. I've had good results but I also had enough patience to let the yotes get in as close as I thought they were coming. My personal limit would be out to around 75yds but again the closer the better.

I also own a 22mag... my thought process on this round does not differ one bit. It... just like the 17HMR ..the 22 mag is a 75 yd or less weapon on critters the size of yotes. Ballistics & energy are very close between these two in comparison. However... with my own experience... the 17HMR is the more accurate of the two at longer distance.... which goes back to shot placement. I feel a little more comfortable with the 17HMR than the 22mag in effect of putting it where I want it. However.. this is just me and some may feel the same with a 22 mag.

I also want to point out... the 17HMR.. is a 17 cal bullet on a necked down 22 mag brass. Another offering..the 17mach2... is a 17 cal bullet on a 22LR brass. Seems the two get confused at times but theres a big difference on performance.

The 17HMR...will work on yotes ... just as you commented on a shotgun loaded with hevishot under 50 yds. Its just a factor of being accurate and knowing your limitations of the weapon your using. You would'nt attempt using your shotgun beyond 50 yds and I prefer shots with the 17HMR at 50yds or under.

With restrictions as we've had at LBL on yotes.... I will be glad when centerfire is allowed. The 17HMR or the 22mag will not be my choice of weapons then. :D