Primers

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Grago, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I use 209 winchester, cant find them anywhere, scarce as chicken teeth,, but if anyone uses cci, i saw last night Uncle Lees had some. Just putting it out there, if anyone is looking for or having , a hard time finding them.

davers likes this.
  2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I recently switched to Blackhorn-209 powder for use in my M/L. They state to use 209 Magnum shotgun primers to properly ignite the powder charge. I've checked all the on-line stores but they are sold out, and have been for the past month or so. My town has no stores that sell primer of any type, so I am too, in a bad spot not finding any primers. I use to use Triple 7 loose powder and a Triple 7 primer by Winchester, but my supply of Triple 7 powder got old and is not reliable and my Triple 7 primers are too weak to properly ignite Blackhorn-209 powder. Due to the lack of proper primers, I will be unable to hunt the late December M/L Deer season, may just give-up hunting with a M/L altogether, and stick with my modern rifle, during Rifle Season.

3. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Primers are scarce, i use winchesters, i got some, and am tagged out, i have been told they havent been making them, or powder, because of no one working during covid, i dont know was told this by a big reputable gun shop, i have shot, blackhorn a long time. I dont know if the cci would work with them or not. But they are owned by Buds gun shop, and i would think would ship you some, if you lived close enough, i would give you some, if you know anyone that reloads shotgun shells they should have a few, i have always shot winchester, and federal with the blackhorn, and never had a problem, i dont know about anything else tho, thats why i posted this thread, about them having the cci 209 in stock, primers are so hard to find.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Gary, do you know which cci 209s they are? Regular or the magnums? Per the BH site (I posted the other day) the regular 209s will work with BH but they recommend the cci or fed magnums for a better more consistent burn.

davers likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have probably a hundred regular primers I'd give ya (or ill trade you for a Dr Pepper if make ya feel better). I posted pic a couple of weeks ago. I'll be in Ky Thanksgiving week, where are you located

6. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I will check today Greg, i got to go to the Dr down there after while, i will swing by and see.

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks, anyway, but I think I'll wait until I can buy a couple of boxes of the Magnum 209 shotgun primers. They have to offer some soon or this will not be good for Blackhorn-209 or M/Ls sales in general. The public, who shoot M/L, will give-up them up if they can't find the proper primers or other stuff.

8. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    They changed my appointment till in the morning, will check on those primers and screen shot a pic

1wildcatfan likes this.
  9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I can get all the federal 209a primers anybody needs around the Lexington/ Cynthiana area. I have another dentist appointment in Lex today I might just swing by that shop and buy acouple thousand. My local store should be getting some small rifle and small pistol primers sometime soon but just a small quantity

10. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    You probably should, i keep hearing, nobody is working to make any, or powder, because of Covid, i have no idea why they are so scarce, but they are anywhere, i know to get any. I would say anything anyone could find , and had the extra money, to get they should pick it up. Who knows what 2021 will bring. I was looking on muzzleloader.com at the cva they dont have much of anything left in stock. Must of been a great year, for muzzleloader sales. I was talking to the guy at midsouth the otherday, as they are running short on a lot of things, i said this has been a good year for sales, guess you guys didnt order enough stuff, he said they had over 2 million dollars worth on back order.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  11. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I looked at these primers, again this morning the ones i saw, i didnt see, but they had large pistol primers, by the muzzleloading stuff, the magnum were percussion caps

12. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Definitely have to bite my tongue on my earlier post, just picked up 5 packs of 209a, left 3 there. A couple weeks ago when I was here I sent @1wildcatfan a picture there was 3 cases on the shelf

13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I've been looking for a pack or two, but not much luck finding. Let me know if you see more around Lex or Cynthiana. Id say those 3 on the shelf won't last long.

14. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Yeah I would’ve felt bad if I took them all. I’ve already got enough for myself at home. I pretty much bought these for y’all on this site if anyone gets in a big pinch shoot me a PM. Ain’t trying to make no super profit, Just hoping to “help a brother out” if you know what I mean.

jblack1, Ataulbe1 and Grago like this.