Preferred Coyote Traps

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Snareman2, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Might buy another dozen traps. What do you guys like? Thanks

2. big8's

big8's 6 pointer

Jul 14, 2006
    greensburg ky
    I use #3 bridgers and really like em and I havent done any modifications on em.

3. snareman

snareman 6 pointer

Jan 25, 2004
    I use a #2 bridger w/ offset jaws and 4 coils. This is plenty, maybe too much according to some professional coyote trappers I know. It gets the job done none the less!

4. kytrapper

kytrapper 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Whitley County
    I like either Bridgers. #3 are preferred by most western coyote trappers and can be used legally here. I do recommend lamination on them though. I've held coyotes regularly in #2 Bridgers tricked out. I know a guy that held every he caught in 1.5 double jaw Dukes.

5. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Kytrapper, I have held a coyote in a 1.5 before also. Thanks guys, looks like Bridger is the main choice.

6. hut

hut 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2005
    logan county
    coyote traps

we got a dozen 1.75 victors base plates,4 coils ,short chain ,double stake swivels best coyote trap I have evere set. Will hold any thing your gonna catch around here.

7. scratch

scratch 10 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    hancock co
    Itchy and I are running bridgers#2 off sets that have been modified....We have had good luck with them....He likes yote trapping alot more than I do....They stink to much for me...give me a skunk any day of the week and I skin it with a smile...cant say the same for a flea bag yote:D

8. peckprice

peckprice 8 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    I love my Duke #3's, I change the chain and add crunch proof swivels. I actually 4 coiled 2 dozen of them last year and I really liked that modification. It helps bust through the frozen crust. I must not know how to measure trap jaw spreads, because all the Bridger #3's I have measured have been 6 1/8th inches. I have a dozen Bridger #2's that I only changed the swivels on and I have caught and held coyotes with no problems. For the money, I would buy the Bridger's. They will perform well with no mods. Most trappers love to modify their traps, and I am in that segment.

9. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Peckprice, I was actually looking at Dukes for awhile. The #3 offset are $105.95/dozen with 6" spread. They also have a 1 3/4 four coil offset for $99.95/dozen with 5 1/4" spread. What do you think about them? Thanks.

10. coon hunter

coon hunter Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    Brownsville KY
    I use the Duke 1 & 3/4 all the time works great for me.

11. peckprice

peckprice 8 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    The majority of the traps I set are Dukes, but I have given them some tender loving care. Replaced the trap pan bolt and nut, changed the chain and swivel set up, etc. The #3 Dukes have a heavy frame that I find no reason to base plate. The Taos 4 coil kits haven't bothered the frame at all on the #3's. The Dukes have been given a bad name, but I have had great luck with them.

12. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    I'm a fan of the Sleepy Creek 1.75........ I also use a few Victor 1.75 and haven't had any issues with them either.... I think a Bridger #2 or #3 is hard to beat...

13. sjwhite

sjwhite Fawn

Mar 18, 2005
    Peckprice is correct about the #3 Bridgers. The ones that I have measured would need some inside lamination to bring them down to 6" inside spread.

14. kytrapper

kytrapper 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Whitley County
    The Canadians double laminate their's and according to their tests they held 100% of coyotes.........if you can believe BMP's.

15. peckprice

peckprice 8 pointer

Feb 7, 2005
    Manchester, KY
    When we first got the 6 inch jawspread clarification, my coyote catch went way up, but at the same time, I started paying more attention to set details. When you bed a big trap, say a #3, you have a bigger dirt pattern to blend in. When we are experiencing freeze/thaw conditions every night, I don't alway "blend" my trap beds in, I just use straight peat moss to cut down on the frozen crust on the trap bed. I have found that I have less refusals in these conditions with smaller trap beds, ie, smaller traps. Another problem I have had with the #3's is a gray fox will walk all over the trap pattern and miss the pan. My point is, I am actually planning on adding a couple dozen #2's or possibly 1 3/4's to my mixed bag predator line this year. But I plan on baseplating them, at the least.