predator call

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Nov 30, 2013.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have killed several coyotes while turkey and deer hunting, but have never targeted them. Sounds fun, and want to jump in. Suggestions on electronic callers please. Don't want to bust the bank, but don't want to get something useless either. What do I need to look for, and stay away from. Thanks.

2. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    If I were you, I'd watch the classified ads on the various forums for a good used ecaller. I think the FoxPro FX-5 is one of the best units you can buy, with 4 dedicated presets and a recall button. I see good buys all the time on FX-3, FX-5, Firestorm, and Fury ecallers.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Thanks. Appreciate the info.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Wow, $$$$? I know you normally get what your pay for, but do you have to spend $400 or more for a good remote e caller?

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I like my $200 FoxPro Wildfire, but I still use hand calls most of the time.

6. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Most guys buy something like a FoxPro Spitfire or a Wildfire for their first ecaller. That will work and you can kill coyotes with either one. However, most guys upgrade to a better caller with more features within a year or two, so why not bite the bullet one time and have an ecaller that will serve you well for a longer time? Some fellow has a Fury II with the decoy for $400 shipped. That is a good buy. The FHSS technology used on the Fury II makes it worth the difference.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Natchez Shooters Supply has the Primos Alpha Dogg for just under $200.

It comes with 75 sounds and 6 sets of "Expert Hunts"

8. BG33

BG33 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2008
    Manchester, Kentucky
    That's a good deal on the Alpha Dogg

9. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Yep. I like mine a lot and paid around $240.

10. BT Game Calls

BT Game Calls Spike

Aug 16, 2012
    Nancy Ky
    Well let me go ahead and open this can of worms,,,,, Every body has an opinion so her is mine. First of all everybody that tries this sport thinks they need a Fox Pro and maybe they do???? but like JR said in his write up on his colored coyote this morning all these boys i think he said had got these callers so yes I agree that it would be useless to go with another Fox Pro and try any calling in this area.....My opinion only is that maybe these people getting in to the sport should only spend 25 to 50 dollars on a GOOD hand call and there are some better than others, take a little pride in what they are doing and learn to call in Predators with different sounds than what most E calls sound alike!!!!!! Now all that being said I have NO intention of hurting any bodys feelings or to say that if the Ecaller world is your thing let it rip!!!!! But I really enjoy doing my own calling , sounding like I want it too. so there are other options.......

11. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I agree that newbies ought to learn how to call coyotes and foxes with hand calls first. It teaches you a lot about set ups and how they react. I don't consider an ecaller a total substitute for hand calls, but it sure is a useful tool when used in conjunction with them. I doubt that coyotes or people can tell that my FoxPro is doing the calling. I edit a lot of sounds and make sequences that are different. The coyotes like them apparently. Being able to get the sound out away from you will add kills to your hunts, especially if you are skilled at making good set ups.

12. BT Game Calls

BT Game Calls Spike

Aug 16, 2012
    Nancy Ky
    You are exactly right Al ,good point!!!! Thanks for the topic that made me think a little.. And I do enjoy your pics. and stories Johnny Mounce Keep up the good hunting friends how ever it works for you!!!

13. Coyote_Commander

Coyote_Commander Spike

Nov 25, 2013
    Manchester, Ky
    I like the Flextone Echo. They are cheaper and do the job well.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm going to be hunting mostly open country, with 2-15 acre thickets littered about. I just think the ability to have the sound 150-200 yards out in the field, with an enticing movement decoy will be more productive than using hand calls. Not to mention, not having them focused on me. I've called several in to shotgun range with a turkey diaphragm, but I just think the success rate will be higher with a speaker out away from me. I also like the idea of being able to change calls quickly.

15. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    I am not trying to discourage you at all bgarcher, but try to call one across an open field in daylight is really tough up here in canmer,