Post Ky Elk Guide or Hunt Area Information Needed Here

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by GSP, Aug 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RicMic

RicMic Fawn

May 12, 2011
    I got drawn for the first time archery cow, not my first choice, but I'm not complaining. No idea what units to apply for, looking for a good place for archery cow, then I'll apply for that or those areas.

2. louisvillecigar

louisvillecigar Fawn

May 13, 2011
    Just found out I have been drawn for cow elk archery. Very excited but know nothing.

Not sure which EHU's to try for. My inclinations are 6b, 6d & 2 in that order. Any advice or guides want to contact me or land owners feel free. My elk hunting education starts now...

3. sgjager

sgjager Spike

Oct 25, 2010
    Harned Ky
    Son recieved cow elk gun tag

My 15 yr old son got lucky with a 2nd week gun cow elk tag. Question is now which area to hunt? any suggestion would be helpfull looking for public land WMA areas.

4. pro5188

pro5188 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2011
    lawerence co KY
    Czar Coal Company in Floyd/Martin is your best place ,

5. Carl H.

Carl H. Fawn

May 12, 2011
    Help Needed!...got lucky with a 2011 cow tag for the first week of gun season..looking for a Guide to help me..I need to pick a EHU?..please PM me if you can help or know someone who can..
    Thanks Much...Carl

6. surfshark46

surfshark46 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2010
    Lexington Ky
    For all the 1st tags drawn, you should have recieved a letter from the state by now confirming your tag. In June you should recieve a Elk Hunting Packet from the state, this has a good map of the EHU's, showing all wma's and all the release sites where elk were set free. Taxidermists, meat processors, guides for the 2011 season will be listed in the material. You do not have to decide anything until after you recieve your packet, it has a bunch of information to help make the most of your hunt. Guided hunts are expensive, but will increase your odds if you are not living in or close to the EHU's. Elk can get scarce during hunting season.

7. Southbound

Southbound 6 pointer

Jul 17, 2007
    Farmington, KY
    Called Czar they said they were not going to allow hunting this year.

8. Southbound

Southbound 6 pointer

Jul 17, 2007
    Farmington, KY
    Anybody got any good information about EHU 6b, 6d, or 6c???

9. Straight Creek

Straight Creek 6 pointer

Oct 6, 2009
    Backwoods
    Southbound - of those three my pick would be 6d. What tag do you have?

10. RicMic

RicMic Fawn

May 12, 2011
    I talked to someone that hunted 6D last year and said they saw lots of bulls, but hardly any cows.

11. twillhunter

twillhunter Spike

Oct 11, 2008
    Got drawn for a cow tag for the second season...never hunted elk and never been to eastern KY, not wanting to spent the money on a guide, could anyone help me on what areas to put in for or any advise? Thanks for any help!

12. Southbound

Southbound 6 pointer

Jul 17, 2007
    Farmington, KY
    My dad drew a Archery Cow. He doesn't play on the computer so I'm trying to do as much Cyber-Scouting as I can for him. I want him to have a good hunt.

13. RicMic

RicMic Fawn

May 12, 2011
    I have an archery cow tag as well and they say it is the hardest one to fill, I don't doubt it either. The guy I talked to said he eventually got his cow(rifle) in 6D, but he said he saw lots of mature bulls, but only two cows, but still maybe he was just in a bull spot. I know places I have hunted out west, some areas, I only see cows in, other areas I only see bulls in.

14. Straight Creek

Straight Creek 6 pointer

Oct 6, 2009
    Backwoods
    The thing is in December majority, not all but majority, of the cows tend to seek cover off of the mountain tops. Bulls on the other hand have to recover from a long hard rut if they want to make it through the winter so the flat strip jobs are a good place for them to graze on grasses and what’s left of the Autumn Olives without having to expel all their energy climbing mountain sides in search of a dwindling acorn source. On years when we don't have a lot of acorns the cows travel completely off the mountains, feeding in low lying pastures and hay fields and tend to mingle with cars and people's fences at night, but years when we have a good acorn crop the acorns tend to sustain them somewhere in between. The cows seem to stay hind well until their calfs are a decent size. I'm not saying this as the gospel but as majority of the cows. I know someone is going to say they seen cows grazing on top in Jan. I have to but where is the other 75%.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011