Post Ky Elk Guide or Hunt Area Information Needed Here

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by GSP, Aug 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Will4852

Will4852 Fawn

May 19, 2017
    Western ky
    I was drawn for a cow archery tag this year. Would like some info on places to look into for a diy or info on some guides.

2. tnbrownfish

tnbrownfish Fawn

Apr 3, 2017
    East TN
    One thing to tell you I was drawn in 2015 cow tag while talking to people I found out the elk have fine tuned to the sound of a atv and they get out of dodge when they hear one. One man told me he saw elk hear a atv that was over 1/2 mile away and they left the area they were feeding. You might think hard about a guide and I know that is good money to spend but it might be the best and if you were drawn for gun season the season is short I think. But if you can call John Hast at Kentucky Game and Fish he is one really nice guy and he might be able to help you out. Also if you are a member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation call and see if you can get some help from a member or someone in leadership and if you are not a member join RMEF. It was the RMEF that put up the money for the elk I was blessed to take my son ( 9 at the time and now 29 and in USAF hopefully on his way back from the desert as I type this ) we saw the largest release at that time over 150 elk near Hazard,KY. Anyway try that and if you do not get what you need send me a message and I will try and get you a guide near Hazard but I am not sure of the cost.
    Thanks I hope this is a little help.
    If you must know one thing make sure that you are 100% sure you know Jesus as your Lord and savior.
    Thanks
    DT in E TN
    Eph.3:20

3. Bill Dowd

Bill Dowd Fawn

May 13, 2017
    Corbin, KY
    I drew Straight Creek LEA. Anyone have information?

4. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    Bill Dowd PM sent

5. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Fawn

Sep 1, 2016
    Hey, I was fortunate enough to draw bull tag week 1 firearm. I did not however have any luck with Lea's or preferred voucher. Looking at trying to DIY , but land is hard to find to hunt that is not already leased, lea, voucher, etc. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    Similar situation as kentuckybuck, but I drew a archery bull tag. I have done quite a bit of home work. Had not planned to use a guide, but began looking into a few, actually completed a couple contact forms or sent emails and have not received one reply or call back. I'm sure most may be full, but you would at least think you would get some level of response back. "Thanks for calling, but we can't......."

I will continue looking at is open to public in the at-large area, but if someone knows someone that allows access, trespass fee, etc. let me know. I do not need an actual guide, but had considered it since it appears a great amount of the land holding the better elk concentrations is tied up and seems like its becoming increasingly more of you are going to pay to play. And I'm sure there are a good many elk killed on ground open to the public, it's just going to take a person time, effort and some luck to do so from what I'm finding out.

Thanks for any help someone might provide.

7. Sam King

Sam King Fawn

Sep 26, 2017
    Georgetown
    I'm in the Hoskins voucher area scattered around Leslie county... anyone from those parts? I drew an archery bull tag so any info is helpful

8. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I drew Limited Access in Hazard and used Lost Mountain Outfitters. They will put you on the elk. Camp is based in Rowdy, KY. These tags are a once in a lifetime kind of thing so I would get a guide to give you the best opportunity. I actually found them on this site from a 2 year old post. Happy I gave them a call.

I have made three trips to hunt Elk in Colorado and only came back with a cow during a muzzleloader hunt.

9. matt800

matt800 Fawn

May 15, 2018
    Illinois
    I have a cow archery tag I would like to fill but need help finding some good ground. If anyone has some private land to hunt or any advice at all please send me a pm. Thanks.

10. kraynky

kraynky Fawn

Dec 28, 2014
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I was drawn for a first week rifle cow elk, after putting in the draw every year since it started. I was much younger and in better health then as well, but it became such a tradition I decided to try at lest one more time, and Bingo!

Now what? I'm 61 and can't walk long distances any longer. In 1999 I was fortunate enough to be drawn for a public land hunt in Colorado, and went with two buddies. Camping on public land and consulting topo maps, I scored a 3x4 bull on the next to last day. But I was able to hike the 3 miles up a mountain and back twice each day, & 4 times that day I scored the bull. That isn't going to happen this year. I need some advice from anyone that has any to offer.

Just last Tuesday I unexpectedly spent $5,048.00 on a new HVAC unit for the house, and my wife just maxed out out Health insurance deductibles running tests in Louisville. So I need a cheapo alternative to a Guide service. I have a couple of friends that say they will go with me and help in anyway, and we all have ATV's. Anyone have any advice to share?

I was so excited last night I couldn't fall asleep until almost 3 am! Paying for it today however, barely keeping my head off my desk. I have a BLR in .308, and Ruger M77 on .270 and lever guns in 444 Marlin, 30-30, 35 Remington and down from there. I'm thinking the .308. Any thoughts on that part of the equation? I'll be probably zeroing it around 200 yards (so I think). There's so much information on this forum I have yet to read, but some of my questions are probably already here waiting for me to find the answers. I Love Elk Meat!

11. OjamesII

OjamesII Fawn

May 18, 2017
    Richmond
    Congratulations!! I’d would suggest going with the .308, that’s what I used 2 years ago! And you are correct to sight in at 200 yards, I had to make a 350 yard shot, I would suggest a guide and I would recommend LMO they are top notch and they will put you on them with minimal exertions from yourself if that’s what you want! Good luck!!! Elk meat is
    Great!

kraynky likes this.
  12. HolidaySlayer

HolidaySlayer Fawn

May 21, 2019
    Western Ky
    I have a week 2 rifle bull tag in unit 4. Can anyone help?