Possible 45 day season

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by oddfellow1976, Jan 24, 2020.

1. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    A buddy of mine who hunts in Missouri says he got a survey from Missouri Dept. of Conservation saying "If duck numbers decline, it is possible that we could have either a 45-day or 30-day duck seasons. To be prepared, we need to know your season timing preferences for these two alternatives."

Looks like they must be seeing a significant decline in this flyway and likewise they must actually be considering a shorter season.

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Playing devil's advocate, couldn't the letter have been distributed simply due to an increase in Missiouri permits this year, as oppossed to a significant decline? Granted, an increase in permits could generate a significant decline, but not necessarily. Perhaps they are simply being proactive with their questionnaire (they did utilize the words "...if...possible...could...").

3. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    It says "If duck numbers decline" not if we have an increase in permits

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Yes Sir, I fully understand that. I would tend to believe that if a significant decline has taken place in Missouri, management entities would not fail to be explicit regarding such. That questionnaire fails to state a significant decline has taken place, though.

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Published just over 30 days ago, and I realize much has likely changed, one way or the other and likely both, since publication:

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/water...-alert-central-and-mississippi-flyways-update

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Missouri might have had less Ducks than before. But this year they have held more Ducks than any state around them.

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  7. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Bring on the 30 day seasons. It will make the misery a lot more bearable than the current 60 days of torture sitting and staring at empty skies.

8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    If they push 45 day seasons here they best push them in Canada, the central, and the pacific flyways too.

gung and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  9. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    I agree but It'll like not happen. Pacific flyway already has a really long season. Don't remember the number. They can also kill 7 ducks and more the species that we have small limits on.

10. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I did not have one, other than the article provided numbers from approximately 30 days ago, but due to your questions, I made a call upon behalf of you and your friend to Missiouri, speaking with Ady in their Columbia Headquarters (573/815-7900).

Ady said that I had correctly interpreted the quote in which you provided, that if there had been a significant decrease in migrating waterfowl, the letter would have stated so. She said that there is no need to panic. She elaborated that the letter was sent out in order to receive feedback from Missiouri permitted hunters, explaining that headquarters relies upon what Missiouri hunters are experiencing within each zone, and that a meeting is on tap to adjust their three zones, if necessary. She did not provide me with the date of said meeting, but she caused me to infer it would take place either this week or next week, and that hunters attend it. When I mentioned what the article stated and what some Kentucky hunters were experiencing, seeing less birds, she stated that the same had occurred within Missouri, with flooding having decimated food plots, just like in West Kentucky, but that the waterfowl are there, just like waterfowl are here. You and/or your friend can simply call her. She seemed to be highly knowledgeable and was quite pleasant.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Can someone explain to me how to block someone that doesn't hunt but knows exactly what we should do?

13. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I think it’s time for a wing ding

Does Mmayes still have the flop shack on that lake in west Ky ?

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I just returned to the house, after having been in multiple cities, stopping within one where the colonel chatted with a pharmacist and daughter of yet another one, whom happens to be retired. She told us that he has been out hunting, daily, in far West Kentucky, and that his freezers are full of waterfowl, due to such.

15. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I doubt that to be anywhere near true. I live in one of the best spots for ducks in TN and hear how people are going in the few better spots.

Ain't been any birds to speak of the whole season. Resident birds got trashed early and the fact that woodies were being torn up most of the season is a clue.

Who are you, really? Gassett, come back to mess with the forum?