Population opinion after hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Shelby21, Apr 21, 2021.

1. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Numbers are way down in east-central KY. No doubt about it. I called a coyote in first morning out. Today is my 5th time out. I’ve seen 3 birds total this season. One was a hen and the other 2, I jumped while getting to a late morning spot. 10 years ago I’d passed on a small gobbler and several Jakes by now and likely tagged out. Not a gobble yet this morning. I think we gotta start killing predators and stop allowing hens to be shot in the fall.

cedar creek likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    From Missouri to across the SE, turkey numbers are down per article I read. Has to be more to it than a few predators and taking a few extra hens in the fall.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Nock, Timholt70, Randy1974 and 3 others like this.
  3. EasyE

EasyE Fawn

Nov 5, 2020
    Breckinridge Co
    I’m really close to a state wildlife biologist and I value his opinion. #1 killer is bad weather during the hatching period and until they have feathers. That period is about 3 weeks after hatching. Their odds of surviving go up a lot after that 3 week period, they can fly then and therefore roost. #2 nest raiders. Sure we have always had these animals but over the last several years there has been less interest in trapping and coon hunting. #3 good nesting cover. This has hurt the quail population too. Hens need thick cover to nest. I’m not ruling out disease but recent conversations with him,he hasn’t mentioned disease. Most people think as long as they have woods it’s good nesting habitat but that’s not always true. A good property needs to be diverse. Food water cover, and hope for some good weather. Might not hurt for us to knock down the coon,skunk,opossum,stray cat
    stray dog,and coyote populations.

Timholt70, BootsOn27 and Trapper Delk like this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I had Turkeys all winter cruising around the fields scratching the piles of cow crap. I have seen only 3 or 4 since the ice storm, but only one strutting.
    I won't ever shoot a hen and only a Tom every few years. Two fellas hunted here and never fired a shot.

5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Worst year I’ve had since I began Turkey hunting 28 years ago. Lowest amount of gobbling and sightings ever. It’s been on a decline the last 2-3 years. And I’m hunting about as prime of property as you could ask for. I used to hear 15-20 birds gobbling every morning, even late into the season. I never heard more than 3 all year on that farm. Idk if it’s all the wet springs we had ruining nest. Or predators. But the numbers have definitely declined.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Long gone.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Today’s floods gonna wipe out a ton of nests. Hopefully those hens will breed again

8. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Haven't had that much rain so far definitely not any flood type rain here, may get little more tonight but looks like biggest part going north of us

9. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    Numbers are definitely down around my area. South central area.. I’ve got 150 acre farm to hunt and usually has birds in the fall not really much in spring for some reason but there’s usually some around the area not very far off but this year I’ve consistently heard one bird on my neighbor and that’s it. 3/4 mile down the road my buddy has a good farm for turkeys I’ve hunted it for 9-10 years straight and atleast been on birds every year. Used to it was nothing to hear 6-8 gobbling and have two decent sized groups on his place (and it’s small a total of 53 acres mostly cattle pasture though) over the years it’s lessened to one group of maybe two toms a jake or two and 6-8 hens which is still good hunting for my area. Out of those 9-10 years I’ve probably killed one bird off of it every year or could have, might of missed one or two. This year I’ve hunted it 5 times he’s been there 2 times and heard no birds on him or within 1/4 mile sounds like.. seen one hen total. Very odd for that place and I have permission to hunt a guys farm that backs up to drakes creek. 90 some acres mostly open maybe 25 acres of woods and some good roost trees it looks like. And seems like it’s be a great place been there twice this year and last year no birds seen or heard except one hen. Last year I did hear 3 gobbling close 7-8 days before season opening weekend wasn’t a bird to be found. Long post sorry but all in all last 5 years have been tough but this year takes the cake. Simply put my areas suck this year. People say ahh you gotta know how to hunt them. I say well you can’t kill what’s not there.

Semp, cedar creek, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    It has flooded big time in my area. This spring season has seen everything from snow to buckets of rain. Can't be good for ground nesting turkeys.