Population opinion after hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Shelby21, Apr 21, 2021.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Also I might add. I ran deer cameras all fall an winter on corn piles. I have lots of nice deer. Never got a single picture of a turkey the whole time. Matter of fact only had a hand full of pics the year before last.

Timholt70 and Grago like this.
  2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I've just completed 6 days of hunting in SW Bracken County.

1) I heard multiple gobblers each morning.
    2) I saw at least one hen per day-- sometimes multiple
    3) There were jakes-- not as many as some years, but fairly well represented
    4) So far, on our 200 acre farm, we've bagged 3-- 2 @ 2y, 1 @4 yr among 3 active hunters and 1 first-timer
    5) I also missed two additional birds-- I don't think I've ever missed 2 in a season.

My only complaint is that several roost trees have gone completely unutilized this year. There has been some sort of shake-up.

Shooting has been sub-par all season. It's been down considerably in recent years. We normally hear a lot more hunters scoring.

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    My farms still have a few turkeys. Likely better than many places, but numbers are nowhere near where they were 10-15 years ago. The lease I lost several years ago was a perfect example....when we started hunting it in 2005 we would usually here at least a dozen different gobblers, with 4-5 on us every day. By the time we lost the lease, we were lucky to hear 3-4 on a good morning and if 1-2 were on us it was a great morning.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have called in 3 Jake's opening day.
    Have seen 2 birds with hen's an 1 single tom that I should have killed but didnt shoot an watched a good show. I also heard a couple of birds on adjoining farms. My son wants to hunt this weekend so im.hoping to get him one. I dont care if I get one. Low bird numbers concerns me.
    If had a lot of fun this year an seen some birds die.
    I would really like to get my son one this weekend an that will make my season

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I hope he gets one. That’s the fun for me.

6. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    There are plenty of birds by my land but they are on the neighbors farm that has plenty of food plots. My place is all woods an seems the birds roost on the edge of the fields where they fly down with plenty to eat. Seems that every farm has food plots anymore.

7. EasyE

EasyE Fawn

Nov 5, 2020
    Breckinridge Co
    Numbers are down. I drive over an hour to work and most springs I see a lot of birds strutting in the fields. I have seen very few this spring. The past 2 springs we have had a lot of rain during the hatching period. Add in the predators they deal with and things get bad quickly.

8. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I feel disease of some type is involved also.grown birds are not making it also.jmo

BootsOn27 likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    There were a lot of birds on my spots during deer season. They are gone now, and not on neighboring farms. I think that freeze killed a lot of birds.

Randy1974 and BootsOn27 like this.
  10. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    I concur. Had consistent pictures on our small farm right before that bad freeze of 6 toms running together. No pictures since and we have killed the one bird that appears to be using the area this spring...

Randy1974 likes this.
  11. JGD

JGD 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    People have been commenting on the downward trending numbers for several years and l felt pretty lucky as I had not seen it...Until this year. The place I hunt has been very reliable for 10-15 years. Usually hear 3-5 birds every morning and sometimes 8-10. Walking around checking fields and hens and gobblers were easy to spot both on the land I hunt and adjacent land. The bottom dropped out this year. Except for opening Saturday, the most I have heard was one bird, sometimes none. This is over a vast area. Birds of any gender are near nonexistent as I haven’t seen a gobbler in days and only an occasional hen. Biologists point to many factors and one that is mentioned is lack of habitat. Possibly true in the big picture but I know many places that land use has not changed in years and numbers are down. I grew up in a very rural area of central ky and that land has not changed in many years save for an occasional house being built. I think it may be some kind of disease or something causing reproductive problems like maybe herbicides? I don’t think it’s predators because during the turkey boom in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s we had many predators then. Actually they were here before the turkeys. So just kind of rambling and wonder what the future holds

John

12. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I've been to a farm twice this year that 3 years ago had 3 flocks of 20-25 turkeys. Heck I even saw 2 long beards and a bunch of hens during the fall archery season down there. This spring, the only sign of a turkey I have seen is one track at a creek crossing!! I feel like the ice we had did a number on the already dwindling populations killing out a big portion of the adult birds that were in my area.

13. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    We were hit really hard with ice it had to put a hurting on them but I've got turkeys just came home one field had 3 long beards and 2 jakes, next field has 1 long beard and 3 other turkeys I couldn't tell what they was... Whats the difference? I know y'all tired of hearing it but I hammer the praetors and nest raiders.... Before anyone ask i also seeing less turkeys but we got turkeys.
    IMO this is what I think mostly problem.
    1. Back to back to back bad spring hatches
    2. Praetors, in this order cats, yotes hawks owls not many foxes but throw then in also.
    3. Nest raiders coons , possums, skunks snakes crows .
    4. Timber harvest (clear cutting )
    5. disease / farmers spraying
    6. 3 1/2 inch shells and tss ammo
    Lol. Couldn't help it
    Add all this stuff together I can see why there's less numbers

BootsOn27, DaveO, dirtstalker and 2 others like this.
  14. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I don't think the shells make a difference because most are shooting turkeys at the same distance they were shooting lead but paying a lot more for the shells.

Semp, Trapper Delk and Timholt70 like this.
  15. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I was just poking at some you guys on the ammo, that's why I said "couldn't help my self"