Population opinion after hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Shelby21, Apr 21, 2021.

1. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    As far as NWTF goes they have been crushed by the covid crisis. No banquets this year and many were canceled last year after March. They had to let a lot of people go. There big convention they always have in February was held online. Money wise there in terrible shape. Read there magazine and they are aware of numbers down all over.

Grago likes this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    NWTF is like DU, take money from here and spend what they don't pocket somewhere else!
    All money fleeced from ky should be spent in ky on habitat not sent to other states.

3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    @luvtohunt have you been down here yet? I saw Turkey all winter but very few since season opened.
    Numbers are down everywhere it seems, I have a friend in Oklahoma that hosts Hunts (canadianriverhilton.com) and they have restricted the Kill to One Bird per hunt this year.

4. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I hunt ohio. I've hunted the first 3 days of season seen and heard 0.

5. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Riverboss I'm with ya 100% just a question can you tell me what nwtf has done to help you or the turkey population In your home state or county you hunt.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Nothing that I can ever remember, I used to be big in DU yrs ago, all the money went to Arkansas and other places that all the big wigs hunted!
    You could kill one pintail in your limit in the states but they shot the hell out of them in Mexico.

Grago likes this.
  7. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    I hunted opening weekend and Monday and killed two birds, one Saturday and the other on Monday. Sunday I worked a bird and had him within 60 yards but he hung up.

Having said that I did a lot of scouting and many of the places I've killed birds in the past had no birds. My brother has a small farm that I've killed a lot of birds on, it's been three years since I've heard a bird anywhere around while there and have seen virtually no sign there.

The farm I killed my birds on appears to be in a pocket that has birds and I saw more birds on opening morning than I've seen in the last four years of hunting combined. It's odd as my brothers farm is less than a mile away. Hopefully this season is a sign that our turkey population is starting to turn around.

I was a committee member of my local nwtf chapter for several years starting in the mid 90's until 2012-14 or so. I feel in the early years they did a lot of good for both hunters and turkeys. Then as our population started really growing the focus moved to the youth (Jakes) and that was great and I really enjoyed seeing the excitement in kids that had never hunted or been in the outdoors. In the latter part of my membership it seemed that the focus changed to making money and spending none on the kids or anything to benefit the turkeys. I quit as I felt that all the work we were doing was just to make money to line the pockets of folks high up in the organization. I hope I was wrong.

Snareman2, Grago, Randy1974 and 2 others like this.
  8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I don't claim to be a great turkey hunter at all. I have killed four in the last 15 years or so, I'm usually real busy this time of year so no scouting and not alot of time to hunt...

This morning, I went with a friend who is far better then I am... We were in the woods by 530... No gobbles... We drove to eight different spots... Saw one hen, never heard a bird...

Trapper Delk likes this.
  9. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Been a nwtf member about 12 years now. I believe they thought the large turkey population would always last. There shift to Jake's was to get more kid's involved because our aging population was dropping rapidly out of hunting and without kids involvement it would slowly die out. Definitely took there eye off of turkey issues. Then the pandemic hits, money crunch and I'm sure there scrambling now.

Randy1974 likes this.
  10. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Just cause don't hear them doesn't always mean there isn't any, sometimes they tight lipped. Kinda like they don't want to draw attention to there hens from other Toms. This time of year for me I'll use a fighting purr to try locate one but gotta watch dang jakes will run over top of you if there is any ..... Walk and call ... Walk and call if you get close to one he'll sound off

11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    The days of 20 years ago sitting on the field edge watching 15-20 hens, 6-7 jakes, and 3-4 gobblers have been over for a while. Now, if I am lucky I see 3-4 hens, 1-2 jakes, and 1-2 gobblers. There was a time in the late 90s I watched 8 jakes take on 5 gobblers like a football game. The two groups would run at each other then run back and huddle up and then do it all again. That was the best day ever just sitting and watching that happen.

Nock, BootsOn27, Grago and 6 others like this.
  12. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    These last 8-10 days of the season there should be more gobbling on the roost and during the day. Hens nesting more.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    riverboss likes this.
  13. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I have the exact same opinion as you about the nwtf. All about $$$ now.

Grago likes this.
  14. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    NWTF from what seen ain’t doing shit. Back years and years ago it was a pretty good deal but now they just money hungry and ain’t helpin nothin.
    Unless somebody can prove me wrong.
    Hell they want money to register your slam that they come up with. Lol. Just so you can see your name online. Hell with that.

Dark Cloud, Grago, Randy1974 and 3 others like this.
  15. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I'm hunting allen an barren County. An its been tough to say the least. I made a promise before season I would not kill a bird until my oldest got hers. An after that I wanted my ol man to get one before me as well. Simply because we dont have near the birds we use too. An I have killed my fair share. My daughter had a shot opening weekend of youth but didn't take it cause she was afraid she would hit a hen that was in the way. I was proud of that. Then we had one circle us I could have killed it but she was facing the other way an couldn't move. An its been tough to say thenleast ever since. Will be the first year in I dont know how long we haven't gotten a bird at my house. From what I can tell I only have about 3 birds to hunt. An im not sure I have them anymore. Since I haven't heard a gobble the last 3 days out. An I have some good spots to hunt. Or they use to be good. Not as good as some or as many acres but I have land to hunt on. It is nothing like it use to be. An I mean nothing like it. If we tagged out today I would still say there is major issues where I'm at. Farms that use to have birds on every ridge back in the early 2000s late 90s. Why they are gone I dont fully understand but they are. Sure there is a few birds out there to hunt. An I could have prolly dont tagged out if not for taking my daughters etc. An they wont blind hunt. My oldest wants to run an gun. That also makes me proud. I feel bad though cause I know her fire is starting to burn out a little. She has hunted her butt off for about 3 years now an has yet to kill a bird. Makes me feel like crap to be honest. So I wont be killing no birds untill I get her one. Im thankfull God has allowed me to see another season. An at the end of the day I cherish every minute we have in the woods together. Turkey hunting has always been special too me. An my harvest report over the years proves I am atleast a decent hunter. Just hard to kill a bird when you only have a few to hunt. Mix pressure an hens to the mix an its bout kicked my tail. For those of you who have birds be thankfull. Many do not. I sure hope they make a big come back. But if they dont I was still blessed for all the good years. It could be alot worse I guess.

JR in KY, BootsOn27, bondhu and 5 others like this.