Population opinion after hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Shelby21, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Shelby21

Shelby21 6 pointer

Mar 21, 2019
    Louisville
    I have to say I’m really appreciative now more than ever with the amount of birds I heard and put eyes on over this past week not what it was 10 years ago and probably won’t ever be like that but still birds to hunt and hopefully these population issues straighten out across the bluegrass but again just thankful that all the negative publicity you see and read isn’t completely true at least from what I can tell on here lots of people have had success and that makes me happy for the future for all of us turkey hunters.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I hunted 4 days. Two of those days I only hunted 3-4 hours, but the other two I hunted most of the day. I only killed one bird in those 4 days. I knew it was going to be tough this year. Just not many birds on my places. Over the last dozen years or more, I've killed a bird, or had a missed shot about 2 out of 3 days afield. I'll only get to hunt the weekends the rest of the season. I will be surprised if I kill another bird this year.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Same as the last several years around here. Not many to chose from. I will still be out after them though because i enjoy it. My goal this year is to get my boy tagged out..and if i can do that im not really worried if i tag one or not.

4. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    As you said, not close to a few years ago, but here way better than the last few.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I hope Daddy can get one on his own.... Been a long time since he didn't get one with me on opening weekend.

riverboss and mudhole crossing like this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Last year was first year I didn't tag out just because I had it in for a gobbler that was tough, heard more this year than last couple years. Didn't scout them this year just went and hunted... Even with the owner doing dozer work it was still good, 1st one heard at least 7 that morning in the evening when I killed it 2 Toms and one hen plus 3 jakes. 2nd day had one coming in one across holler one in back field and others little further off (dogs ruined the hunt) Monday morning one gobbling out behind my place, hunted that evening and tagged #2..... Today seen strutting birds 2 fields next door ...... So I'd say they doing ok here.. Hope you guys have good luck!

Feedman and Grago like this.
  7. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I hunted an area where I have hunted for twenty years. Last weekend . Drove six hours in the area on friday looking for strutters or birds in fields. I never saw asingle LB. I saw a lot of single hens . I saw single jakes. I saw no flock type group anywhere. I t was fewest birds by far Id ever seen in any previous year on the pre-opening drive around. It made me think that the population is lower and that the breeding season is very far along as the hens were obviously traveling to nest and by themselves.

Saturday morning I heard two gobblers roost gobbling where I would have expected to hear 6-10 in past years. I killed the field boss at nine am. My companion and I then hunted ( I was there but no gun in rest of day) in three other distinct formerly great places in a 20 mile radius until dark and never heard another gobble or saw a male turkey anywhere. We had killed birds in the past in all the three places. All private lands.

Sunday we went back to where I killed saturday and heard one bird gobble. Also heard somebody shoot fifteen minutes before you could see your hand in front of your face ..it was that dark and clearly illegal . Friend sitting beside me killed a silent LB at 830. One other bird had been gobbling all morning and making his rounds and we had hens with us in the field and they absolutely ignored his gobble 125 yards away. In fact when he came in to the field 150 yards away from us and the hens were between us and him the hens ran and half flew towards us and past our decoys to get away from him. He came our way and I killed him at 9:30, a 25.5 lb old bird. Seeing the hens run from the LB made me think the breeding season was perhaps near the end in that area.

Monday I took another young friend, as i was tagged out. He had never killed before. He killed one sitting next to me late morning and we had heard only one bird gobbling all morning. This one came in gobbling and Im pretty sure it was the one we heard gobbling earlier in dense fog.

So in three days hunting and one with an extensive driving scout I heard or saw four LB and and they were all killed by us. All the LB were 3 + years old with long beards, big spurs and lightest one was 22 pounds, honest weights. Heard two other shots saturday, two on sunday and one on monday and normal year would be more than 7-8 a day. BY FAR the fewest birds I have ever seen in that area. Nothing remotely close to numbers of LB that low as far as gobbling or sightings in any past year of the decades I have hunted there. I see the county kills so far near there are not that lower than last year but where I was hunting it was very very sparse.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    BootsOn27, Semp, Southpaw and 3 others like this.
  8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have seen 6 jakes 2 hens and one long beard all season, haven't heard much gobbling, before season i heard several different birds, numbers are crazy low compared to even 2 years ago.

Semp and James Scott White like this.
  9. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Not trying to be negative about anything but its real that numbers of turkeys are going down alot.if you still got birds great.but I feel it should be talked about because I have seen it go to no birds at all in many areas.county after county wide.game management and predator control are a plus.

hunt, bdbrown66, Grago and 4 others like this.
  10. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    We need the nwtf to help us hunters out . With the population problem. They were great In Getting the wild Turkey started up years ago but since I think they have slacked off. ( my opinion)

Grago and Timholt70 like this.
  11. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Completely covered up in turkey. Most I’ve seen or heard since I bought the place 4 years ago.Tagged out!

Recurve77, Randy1974, Grago and 4 others like this.
  12. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I've hunted every day except one since the season opened. I've only heard 4 or 5 birds gobble total and that was at sun up on two mornings and they were on another property then they shut up. I've heard maybe 3 gun shots the entire time also. The rest of the time it's been dead silent. A few years ago I could hear 7 or 8 birds all on my spot. Things have really gone down hill where I hunt. I've got a blind (and rarely use it) but I just don't have the patience to sit in it all day and hope something walks by. I'm not trying to whine about it but this season is the toughest I've seen in years.

rockhousehunter and Grago like this.
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I keep the coyote population well down where I hunt, haven't seen a coon or many tracks even at night while using thermals.
    Opening day I called in 5 jakes and had a bobcat come into the set! I'm sure its my problem and will deal with it next winter!
    Its the only thing that has changed in my spots.
    I haven't ran into another hunter where I hunt or heard anyone shoot.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    This is the first year I've experienced a decline. I've had plenty of birds on my spots until this year. They just aren't there this year, except for where Daddy and I hunted Sunday morning. Heard a ton of birds, but only one close to us. At least I know the population is pretty good there. My other spots have been very quiet compared to prior years.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I hunt 2 diff counties. Numbers are way down on the multiple farms we hunt. Birds are in pockets but nothing like we have seen in the past. I have one farm that has always had 6-8 mature birds and we have yet to hear one. Plenty of deer county wide tho lol