popping when hot water is turned on

corndogggy

12 pointer
Jul 20, 2005
So I've got one of those situations where when the hot water in the kids bathroom is turned on, I hear a popping in the walls that almost sounds like a leak. Would have thought it was a leak but notified an owner of some commercial rental offices about the sound in another location and he cut the danged floor out just to find nothing, so I know better now. Can anything be done about it other than rip the drywall out and work on where the pipes go through the studs?

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
May possibly be expansion of the pipe moving it where it comes thru the studs . We always oversize holes and insulate thru to allow for some movement. Just a guess.

sent from the front deck

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Hows your water pressure? If its pretty high it could be making the pipe jump from the relief of the water pressure. May need to strap the pipe down or install a prv on the incoming water supply line. high pressure will wear out valves on sinks and commodes.

just my .02

MIhunter13

Fawn
Mar 16, 2014
La Grange
If you plumb in a section of flexible high pressure hose on the supply side of the hot water, it should solve your knocking problem..... In most cases.

corndogggy

12 pointer
Jul 20, 2005
Hows your water pressure?

Well... considering it's an 85 gallon hot water tank, probably better than most houses, but it's nothing obnoxious in terms of pressure, just seems normal and how it ought to be.

high pressure will wear out valves on sinks and commodes.

Only the hot water is in question, should have nothing to do with what's going into the toilet unless I'm missing something.

Latest posts