Poppers???

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by luvtohunt, Jul 13, 2020.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Ok so I am a huge fan of poppers as of late. Last year I started making dove poppers and they are fantastic. What’s not to love about jalapeños, cream cheese, and meat wrapped in bacon. Anyway so I’m good with the dove poppers but I also love venison poppers. My problem is I haven’t figured out how to do the venison poppers and keep the meat at medium rare to medium like I like to eat it. So my question for you ladies and gents that make them, what’s the secret? Oven?? Grill? Smoker?? Thin bacon?? Thick bacon??? High heat/lower heat?? What’s the best method to get a consistent venison popper at about a mid rare to medium finished product?? I will add that I typically use the oven to do mine at this point and though tonight’s were fantastic, they were medium well to near done. Thanks

Attached Files:

supergoat80 likes this.
  2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I use thin bacon and cook on high heat (500 degrees) on the grill. As soon as the bacon is done, they come off. Experiment with a little thicker chunk of venison if they are getting too done.

Winchester94 likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    The bacon is what always seems to hang me up. Doesn’t seem to get done enough but I don’t do that high of heat either so I’ll try that. Thanks

4. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I have the same problem as you with the version. However for the bacon, finish it off in the oven on broil you get them crispy

5. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    D6E903AC-3708-453D-A38B-77D43698ABFB.jpeg I use thin bacon. I cook mine on a charcoal grill. I grill mine in a basket. As soon as the bacon starts to drip grease, it will flame up some. This cooks the bacon fast and crisp. Keeps the meat inside from over cooking.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I cook indirect at about 350 on charcoal. I have pre cooked the bacon a little before wrapping but most times I don't. I have also used a propane porch to hit the bacon at the end if its not as done as I like. Thin bacon is key.

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  7. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I had some of these a while back. I’m gonna start dove hunting just to make these. Man I love them.