Poplar

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
Right now, yellow poplars are dropping dead leaves, brown and yellow. The yellow ones have big greenish/blue dots on them, as if it's a fungus or something. I don't know why it happens but this is perfectly normal. It happens every year. I saw them today, just like I see them every year. The trees doing this are normal and healthy.

What Mudhole is describing is something different. He's seeing whole groves of trees turning brown, top to bottom. I've not seen this in my area, but that doesn't mean anything.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
That's good news!
This insect occasionally becomes abundant enough to cause visible injury.
In addition to damage done by adults, larvae feed as internal miners, causing areas of dead leaf tissue in poplar and sassafras leaves. Combined larval and adult activity can cause significant leaf loss. Healthy, established trees usually can tolerate the infrequent damage seen with this insect.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kentuckypestnews.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/yellow-poplar-weevil/amp/

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
I sent an e-mail to my County Agent. Her reply is below. She refers to the article that was posted above....

I hadn’t heard anything about a pest of tulip poplars until just now. The browning of leaves is happening due to weevils feeding on them. I heard about it from Madison County Extension (Richmond). Even though it looks ugly it should not kill an otherwise healthy tree. Here’s more info from KY pest news about it.

https://kentuckypestnews.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/yellow-poplar-weevil/

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Good. I've been seeing tons of Japanese beetles lately too. They stick on everything; roses, ferns, beans, sweet tater vines, even oak tree leaves in the yard.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
Good. I've been seeing tons of Japanese beetles lately too. They stick on everything; roses, ferns, beans, sweet tater vines, even oak tree leaves in the yard.
Dang, glad I'm not the only one. Never had an issue in 16 year living in KY and this year they're everywhere. They are tearing up our roses and Japanese maple. Left a weeks ago and Hadn't seen the first one, come back Saturday and I'm infested. Put out two traps and they were full in 16 hours.

elkaholic

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2012
Pendleton County
Most of the Sycamore trees in my area have died in the past few years.
Someone said it was global warming?
Also the ash trees are going too, maybe the Bug has got here.
All my ash trees have died on my farm and everywhere else around here. They are starting to fall and are dangerous. I cant get anyone to cut firewood because free firewood is everywhere.

Latest posts