Poplar

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Poplar leaves are dying. I mean whole groves of them. Not sure if the trees are dying or just something eating their leaves. Anybody else seeing this?

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Most of the Sycamore trees in my area have died in the past few years.
Someone said it was global warming?
Also the ash trees are going too, maybe the Bug has got here.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
Poplars always have "some" leaves turn yellow an fall this time of year. I'd guess 10%, certainly not a majority. i stood under 5 big ones all over 24" in diameter not an hour ago and they appeared fine.

Yes, the elms are all dying, the elm borer bug has spread to all corners of the state. I've seen big oaks suddenly die in one season too. Tree's don't live forever. They have to fight to live just like everything else.

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
In the nightmares of turkeys
The Ash trees here in NKY are all but gone, most Elms too. Got a big Oak on the edge of my yard that died too. No sign of lightning on the oak and it seemed healthy last summer, it's probably a 30+" tree. I know the tree aphids are terrible now. They are really sucking the leaves on Dogwoods on the edges of our place.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Poplars always have "some" leaves turn yellow an fall this time of year. I'd guess 10%, certainly not a majority. i stood under 5 big ones all over 24" in diameter not an hour ago and they appeared fine.

Yes, the elms are all dying, the elm borer bug has spread to all corners of the state. I've seen big oaks suddenly die in one season too. Tree's don't live forever. They have to fight to live just like everything else.
whole poplar thickets are brown around here. I'll take a pic this evening. I too saw healthy ones as well in same area. I'm seeing this in dif counties. I'll post a pic when I get off work.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky

IMG_0601.JPG
The poplars that are dying are the ones that are surrounding the real green tree in the middle of the pic which I think it's a poplar as well. Up close the leaves are just turning brown

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Not ur typical 10%. I walked up to 2. One every leaf was dying. The other was perfectly fine. But I'm seeing big poplar groves turning brown.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I haven't heard of a poplar disease. Losing them would be catastrophic. Drop by your UK Extension office and show them that picture. They may know something or could call a UK arborist and find out something.

Rat

8 pointer
Oct 9, 2006
USA
Last year I split and burned firewood from Ash trees, Red Oak, Maple, and Tulip Poplar. Every one of them were trees that died suddenly according to the owners. Splitting the wood was interesting. Insides of majority of the trees looked like swiss cheese. Even the oak. Larvae by the millions inside all the way through heartwood. Asian longhorn beetles. Must have killed about 100 adults in the wood as well. The oak is what surprised me the most. Dept of agriculture told me that this does not happen.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Poplar will come up thickly on timbered ground in the right locations, and a second growth poplar grove will continually, and massively thin itself when the trees get crowded.. at about 10-12" thickness it becomes more noticeable. The grove will continue to do that over time as the trees grow, but it's not as noticeable when only one or two a year die as they become farther apart.

Poorboy

8 pointer
Feb 23, 2005
under the bank
I noticed this spring about the time of the poplar bloom several leaves dying. I first thought the blooms were ending but that wasn't the case. Something is definitely going on with them.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I hope nothing is happening to the poplars, I have 200 acres with 23 year old trees on it. I am banking on cutting them in another 20 years if I live that long, if I don't my children will have them cut...If the trees don't all die.

Latest posts