Polaris Question

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by coysmoker, Apr 1, 2013.

1. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I have a Polaris 500 sportsman. It's about an 2003 model. It is a 4 stroke and water cooled. It has plenty of power and starts up easy but it smokes and uses oil. Can anyone tell me what oil they use? I am using Castrol full sythetic 10-30

2. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Are you absolutely positive it's a 4 stroke? I used to keep up with them so they may have changed. But back when I was riding all Polaris's were 2 strokes. They had an auto 2 cycle oil pump that mixed it for you.

3. Rackdaddy

Rackdaddy Spike

Sep 7, 2012
    Marion co
    Sportsmans are 4 stroke but if it is burning oil and smoke it means ur ur rings are bad oil is goin from ur crankcase to the topend of ur motor and mixing with the gas and burning so ur rings on the piston are bad. If u replace the problem now before further damage its fairly cheap rings are around 50$ id say just a estimate but installing them takes a little time but not to hard of a job

4. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    That's what I'd put my money on! Not really a hard job to do yourself just a little time consuming.

5. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    I was hoping that wasn't the case but thank you for the responses. I know a guy near me that does that sort of work and I've heard good things about him.

6. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Could also be a bad valve seal leaking oil into the cylinder. The 02 Big Bear I had up untill a couple months ago had the intake valve seal go bad. Started and ran fine but it would smoke like crazy and I thought my engine was toast. Turned out to be a $3 valve seal. :eagerness: