Poison Ivy?

scsims

10 pointer
Oct 14, 2003
1,786
Mercer/Washington County
My wife picked handfuls of this out of the landscaping. I told her to go wash up good, but I'm not sure if it's actually it. What do y'all that think?
c428d6756ea49ad7c14e578ebb7ec2fd.jpg

eccc97a7ef7f36ebd1ee75765d3d9065.jpg

1ba6dd4c3f0ec4756a42fd4c43b921e7.jpg
 

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
1,402
Not here anymore
Yes absolutely that is poison ivy. I am terribly allergic to it and can spot it in the dark (sort of a severe case of adverse reaction training).

The primary allergen is the oils that are liberated by crushing or damaging the leaf. I can usually feel the tingle/itch within a minute. Because it is an oil you want to use those things that wash off oils - alcohol, dish soap, or even in an emergency some gasoline. You also want to use cool water when washing as this will not open up your pores like warm water will.

That being said, it is an allergen and therefore not necessarily a trigger for everyone. I knew a guy that actually picked and sold the stuff to the army for testing purposes. He could crush it, rub it on himself, no reaction whatsoever. Your wife may not suffer at all, but when she rubs your back later you may get it from her hands if you are sensitive.
 

KYBOB

8 pointer
Dec 26, 2009
815
Barren Co.
Yep, I'm another that can get by looking at it. Another thing about the oil in the plant ( urushoil ) does NOT go away with time. If you get it on gloves or gardening tools and put them away , and you touch them next year you can still get it. All depends on how sensitive your skin is to the oil. I bought some of the Zanfel ( sp ) its a wash that's supposed to get rid of it. I suppose most any good soap if used before it soaks in the skin would work. I used to complain about how bad I got it until I found out some people get it bad enough to be hospitalized.


BoB
 

willy09

Banned
Oct 15, 2009
1,626
Ol lady years ago told me if you'd eat a leaf if poison ivy you'd never get it again.... she also seen a lot of ufo's and talked to aliens....
 

kymailman98

10 pointer
Dec 20, 2009
1,838
Christian County
Ol lady years ago told me if you'd eat a leaf if poison ivy you'd never get it again.... she also seen a lot of ufo's and talked to aliens....


That's like a fellow that lived around here long ago, he bragged that he could wipe his butt with it and it wouldn't break out. He did so on a bet.......and lost. The old timers said that his mother had to take care of him and that he suffered really bad. I am not allergic to it, and pull it up and throw it away whenever I see it in the yard. Wife is the opposite, as she can get close to it and break out. We keep stuff on hand in case she gets it.
 
Last edited:

Brutus Hedgeapple

10 pointer
Jul 30, 2002
1,667
South Central Ky.
Ol lady years ago told me if you'd eat a leaf if poison ivy you'd never get it again.... she also seen a lot of ufo's and talked to aliens....

I've got a book written by Euell Gibbons "Stalking The Wild Asparagus" that claims this also. Supposedly, you eat a leaf a day when it is tiny, like the size of a mouse's ear, and you won't be allergic. I've not tried it or plan to.
 

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
7,987
Boone County
That's like a fellow that lived around here long ago, he bragged that he could wipe his butt with it and it wouldn't break out. He did so on a bet.......and lost. The old timers said that his mother had to take care of him and that he suffered really bad. I am not allergic to it, and pull it up and throw it away whenever I see it in the yard. Wife is the opposite, as she can get close to it and break out. We keep stuff on hand in case she gets it.

I've never had it in my life, and have cleared a lot of fence rows with it thick in them with my bare hands.

I wouldn't however try this for any amount of money.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
8,947
Shelby county
Here goes,you can believe it or not.It is the TRUTH.
Many years ago when I was a kid I could look at Poison Oak and get it.BAD real bad.Had to go Drs take shots to help clear it up.Ran around all the time PINK with lotion on my body.
There was an Old Black Man that lived about a mile up the road from us ,he was in his late 80s then and one day I was walking up the road to neighbors house to play. He seen me said come here boy.What choo got on yourself? I said lotion for Poison Oak.Misserable ant eve get around the stuff without breaking out all over from it
I was 11 years old at the time.He said that stuff bad and I see you most of the time with it.Do you know how to stop getting it? I said sure would TIRED of this stuff being miserable all the time. He said come over here by the fence.He took his knife and cut a piece of stem from the Poison Oak about an inch long said chew on this swallow the juice spit out the stem. Even tho being scared to try it,I DID. It made me sick as I could be.Dad was mad as heck but it didn't break me out at the time just sick.Ever since that day I can ROLL in it SLEEP in it be around it all the time and don't get it.I clean it of my wifes flower beds my fence rows and don't get it at all.
 
Last edited:


Latest posts

Top