Pocket knives

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Bray, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    One thing I fondly remember from my childhood is picking an apple from my grandma's apple tree and handing it to my papaw to peel. It never failed that he would pull out a pocket knife and peel it for me. He always had a pocket knife on him day or night. He passed away a couple years ago and although I think about him everyday I don't think I have missed him more than I did tonight. I drug out my pocket knives earlier tonight to oil and clean. I came across one of the knives he used to peel my apples with. Before I put it up I peeled one as a snack. I've got a lot of knives, some worth a lot of money, but I wouldn't trade any of them for that knife.

That got me to thinking, I rarely carry a pocket knife. So I picked out a Henckels trapper that I'm going to start carrying. What do you carry? Any knives have a special meaning for you? What kind do you collect?

2. DaveR

DaveR 6 pointer

yeah, an old barlow that my dad gave me. I carried it to gradeschool as a kid and used it plenty until I let my ex wife keep it in her purse. She lost it of course and I still think about how nice it was, compared to what they make a barlow out of in more recent decades

3. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Dang Bray, same here! Papaw had a yellow handled case xx he carried. Last year at Court Days I went looking for one and found a great one.I could have ordered it online and new but wanted a used one that resembled his.It's actually my kind of knife, not stainless steel.I carry it daily.Makes me think of Papaw everytime I put it in my hand and look at it.Before the case I carried an older Old Timer.I have a small 4 blade Hen n Rooster I carry for going to town, I call it my "going to town knife'. haha

I keep a 1940's model USMC Kabar in the vic for hard times.

4. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Nothing special to me but I rarely leave the house without one clipped to the inside of my pocket. I can't stand them floating around in my pockets.

5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Great memories right there.
    [​IMG]

The big case was my dads. gutted my first doe with it, the small one is a sog. I have carried a knife my entire life,
    I prolly have close to 200 knives. I love em, going to buy some old ones soon. a knife is your best friend.
    The case was made by my dad's best buddy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    If I got my pants on....I've got a pocket knife with me...lol.

Carried a knife everyday since I was little....same as my dad and grandfathers did.

Just like watch..keys..bilfold.....go off without a pocket knife just dont feel right.

7. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    Me neither. I had an unfortunate painful experience when I was still in school that involved tender regions getting pinched between a pocket knife and some keys upon jumping on a fourwheeler. No more free-carry for me, thank you very much.

8. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky
    I have carried a pocket knife for as long as I can remember. Nothing special that I carry, since I use one at work all the time. But I do have a couple old case knife that have some meaning to me. A couple that belonged to my grandfather, and one that was my dads. I can still see my grandfather sitting on the front porch whittling on a stick, just passing time.

9. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    I love to carry a pocket knife, you never know when you will need it.

10. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    Great thread Bray, I like most guys here have always carried a pocket knife. Like you my Papaw got me interested in knives, he had alot of them. There was one special one, a horse head Case that my Dad gave me when Pap died in 1995. The story behind the knife is that in WWII, Pap was on a boat(Navy Man) a Jap zero crashed into the boat and he made the knife out of the parts of the plane. From what he told me, the horse head and part of the tang is made from the joystick. The layers of plexi are made from the windshield, and he made it in the machine shop of the boat after it crashed. If any of you guys have seen one similar let me down easy!

I have 32 new in the box, never carried, Case pocket knives plus several long knives. Keep em' sharp boys! 100_3333.JPG 100_3334.JPG

11. BTOWNER

BTOWNER 8 pointer

Dec 5, 2010
    got a couple knives. one is a gerber i got while in the military and the other is just a 20 dollar gerber fast open from wal mart that i carry. both good knives imo. a knife in your pocket can be handy in numerous ways.

got me a leatherman also but keep it in whichever outdoor bag i am using that season. very great tool for an outdoorsman.

12. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I forgot about something I started with my son. On his first Christmas 3 years ago, I gave both of his pappaws a Case pocket knife with a gold tag in the box that commemorated Jacob's first Christmas with each Pappaw. Each year he gives them a pocket knife and when he's old enough, they are going to give the collections back to him for Christmas. I also take a picture of them at each Christmas with the gift.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Carry a pocket knife every day, and have since high school. Today is a Gerber I picked up a couple of years ago. I also keep it clipped. It replaced my grandfathers Boy Scout folder that he got in the 30's.

14. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    If I got pants on there is a yellow case xx sodbuster jr in the front pocket. CV steel only, stainless is for wussies. ;)
    Carried my old Ulster Boy scout knife for years and years but the thought of losing it has now retired it to the top of the dresser.
    Funny how guys are so brand loyal over things, besides Truck brands and guns, knife brands too, Im a Case CV guy my bud at work will
    carry only old Treebrand Bokers.

15. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    i feel naked without one in my pocket even in church.i like Old Timers but have carried a Case for about 6 years now.