Poaching near knob state forest

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bummed, Dec 3, 2019.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Lil buck?

2. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Yea little 4 pointer he would come out almost every night in our front yard and eat the persimmons

3. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Guess I need to cut the persimmon trees down. Pretty bad when u got to do that to keep the deer from coming out in the open on your own property

4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I would not do that.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    That’s like tearing down the WalMart because you have shoplifters. Go after the poachers.

6. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Well the two trees I’m talking about are about 40 yards from the road and don’t really help me when I’m hunting because we hunt the back side of the property we couldn’t even shoot a deer if we wanted to if they was under the tree because we would be shooting straight towards interstate 65 and our road with no trees in between them or anything to stop a bullet. But it was nice seeing the deer out there. Only thing is I had one trapped back there that was shooting deer from the road last year and he made it out before anybody got there and I handed this one this year to the cops on a silver platter with his lights and gun and they let him go. So going that route really hasn’t paid off either

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Had to look up pioneer. You're across 65 from us, were on horesefly hollow rd. At the end of belmont rd. My neighbor hunts back there on some doctors property, 2000+ acres per him. He said the game warden spent a lot of time writing tickets during MZ. We always called that Yoe hollow and would access it through the tunnel under 65 before it was widened.

8. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Yea wayne

1wildcatfan likes this.
  9. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    We used to hunt all of knobs before the doc sold it to the state

10. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Used to frog gig and ride horses all over alot of it. And Buck's place.
    Yo hollow is what we always called it also. Both sides of the road are state ground now, correct?

11. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Yes it’s a mad house back there now it was like this when they first sold the right side it will take a couple years then it will die down a little bit

12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I was just typing a reply...…..how long has the north (left side) been part of the Knobs? I recall when it first opened it was only the right side (south). I was one of the ones who hunted it a bunch that first year. I had several hunting friends who hunted Yo, and I saw pics of what they were killing. When it went public, I was hoping to connect on a good one. I saw far more hunters than deer, and the only shooter I saw was cresting the ridge at about 150 yards as I was walking in one evening. Haven't hunted it since.

13. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    They sold it at the end of last year

14. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    It definitely isn’t what it used to be even when hunting season is out you have all the bird watchers and people walking the deer never get a break 15 years ago you could drive back that road and count 100 easy then the disease hit and they sold to the state now you would be lucky to see one

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Via the reaction of our former cattle to persimmon trees on our old farm, and what I have read about how well deer can smell, I am guessing that those persimmon trees are probably helping you more than you are giving them credit, regardless of how close to them on your property in which you hunt. I would not remove them for that reason, and plenty more. If you do not want the deer coming into your front yard for those persimmons, simply keep them from doing so.

We had huge persimmon trees on the farm, yielding much fruit each season, and being that we loved them as much as the cattle, we used to fight their massive weight for all, even though they were surprisingly aggressive about it, in the midst our presence. Instead of fencing those trees off, we tossed many old sheets underneath those trees and regularly shook them, in order to drop their fruit. That is one option for you, and your children would probably enjoy the process of gathering them each day, as well as the wonderful things which can be made with all.

If you do not already have no hunting/no trespassing signs posted along your frontage, perhaps consider that, in addition to the previously mentioned surveillance cameras. Both will legally assist you, if need arises in the future, once again, while also acting as a deterrent. Here is a decent one, but if you do not wish to litter your front yard with metal, simply make some from sections of cut, large caliber trees and engrave them with a wood burning kit (looks nice):

https://www.safetysign.com/products...OWEdwzMHHKOpDAznYzgW6bFYd1p74HkhoCUaoQAvD_BwE

Lastly, perhaps consider developing a good rapport with your game warden, sherrif, and those managing the other properties mentioned. Show them the photograph, politely explaining what has been occurring upon your property, and ask for their advice. I personally believe that you are giving up too easily. It is your property, and you possess rights which should not be violated. The manner in which you go about protecting them is the key.