Poaching near knob state forest

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bummed, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Pioneer dr going to knobs state forest

2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    First year we had the farm, it was to late to cut any firewood for that burning season so I asked around and got a name where to buy some. They come up to deliver, it was 2 young guys, maybe 18 and 22 yrs old. They get talking and just blatantly start talking about jacklighting deer. I said, in my most clueless voice "isn't that illegal?" Youngest says "Thats how all the big bucks get killed around here!" OK! Glad I don't have fields that border the road!!!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Call Milburn. He may or may not be in your area but I have had personal experience with him in Jefferson County and he should be able to point you in the right direction. He's a decent guy and used to be a cop. Easy enough to talk to. Give it a shot and please keep us updated. Most of these guys are decent folks, but they serve the public, and if they aren't following through should be held accountable.

4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Although I had to research the word "jacklighting", I am guilty of it, but not along the lines of killing. We used to take the boat out at night and jacklight gators, simply for fun at that age. We always thought it easy to tell the smaller ones from the larger ones, via the size of their red eyes, and we would catch the smaller ones with heavy duty fishing net poles, look at the gators for a few minutes, and then release them where located (still illegal, I do believe, but we were too young/dumb to care, one way or the other). We stopped doing it, after scooping up one quite a bit larger and more lively than suspected, being that it rapidly almost ended up in the boat with us, causing quite a rather frightening scene. I am glad to learn that it is illegal to jacklight deer, thank you.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You were a wild child weren't you . I about bet you dropped live crawdads in boiling hot water too didn't you . Go ahead and let all the bad stuff out.;)

MoMan and HuntressOfLight like this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Lol... No Sir, hardly... rather strict parents, thankfully, but I did used to always flip the rocks at the creekside on our old farm beside the Smokies, catching the crawdaddies and salamanders, playing around with them a bit while learning about them, before letting them go. I would spend hours doing it, each visit, and still do so today, whenever opportunity presents itself. I catch/release all kinds of wildlife and always have done so.

7. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    "Crawdaddies" ?

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Typo. while thinking about it, though, I recall finding only the claw of one, after I had been going down to the creek and doing that for most of my life. It was HUGE, just like a lobster, and it actually made me a bit uncomfortable, simply because I never once saw anything it must have previously been attached, and I spent probably 90% of my time playing in that creek bed or directly beside it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    "Crayfish are freshwater crustaceansresembling small lobsters (to which they are related). They are also known as crawfish, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs, or yabbies."

10. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  12. Bummed

Bummed Fawn

Oct 8, 2019
    Eastern ky
    Update found the deer the boy shot

Attached Files:

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

And hanging around. Thought it would move on by now.

Brody likes this.
  14. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Call the co I got involved in some crap like this yrs ago. Guy stopped in the road and shot, drove off and someone called on him, they pulled him over and he told the co he stopped and was watching a deer but that he saw me on my ATV shoot at the deer.
    The co came to my house and asked me about it, I was at work and bright a notarized copy of my time card to prove it wasn't me.
    So I went looking and found the deer called the co and helped him cut open this nasty half rotting deer to retrieve the bullet. They went and got his gun and found empty cases under his seat and matched the bullets to his gun.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Nice job.