Pleated Otter Tails!

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Snareman2, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I caught afew otter, already stretched one, put one on the board today, and have one in the freezer I need to work. A friend of mine, said NAFA wants the otter tails pleated and he began to tell me all about how to do it. Does anybody know about doing them that way? If they are not, will my hides be docked? Thanks for your help in advance.

2. browningshutr

browningshutr 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Northern Ky
    I've never heard of that. How did he explain to do it?

3. snareman

snareman 6 pointer

Jan 25, 2004
    Snareman2,

That's not a bad username you've got there. I've never pleated the tails and they sell just fine. I've got a buddy who pleats them and many other trappers do as well. You simply pin the base of the tail down and skrunch the tail up like an accordian ( the musical intrument) with pins every so often. When finished the tail is maybe a quarter of the length it would be if fully stretched. It looks nice but don't know I'll ever go to the trouble.

4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks, I googled it and it took me to the Trapperman forum, they had pics of mink pleated. I doubt if I will. My buddy advised to push and pench the tail, making the pins almost touch, until the end of the tail. He claimed it makes a better representation of the fur when they look at the window. The mink did look better, but I think I will stick to the way I have been doing it. Thanks again.

Browning, google it and you will see some pics.

5. browningshutr

browningshutr 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Northern Ky
    Will do Snareman. Thanks